The Mystery of the Cut String

Five times now this Spring I've gone out in the morning to find that one of the coarse white cotton(?) strings in my garden had been cut during the night. I don't see any footprints and the garden is fairly inaccessible. The cut is clean and well away from the end stakes. The string has sometimes been hanging over a foot off the ground. No other mischief is noticeable.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave in STL

Sorry, I don't do string theory.
Steve
Could it be a bird looking for nest building material? I have seen birds trying to tear uo string I use for my climbing cucumbers.

We found the cords staking our fruit tree saplings against wind damage cut cleanly on several occasions last year. In our case, we caught the culprit in the act: a jackrabbit.
Kathy