The Blob is on my Plum Tree

This is a link to some pictures of "The Blob" (dark brown stuff wrapped around the branches, about a hundred of them, three or four inches long) which has attached itself all over my Italian Prune tree. Does anyone know what this is and what I should do to it?
http://caravelabooks.com/plumcrud /

Looks like a Black Knot problem. do some research and good luck, if it is that bad it will take a while for the patient to recover

Asporigia moribosum, commonly called black knot. Prune out all affected limbs, disinfecting tools with bleach after each cut. Burn the infected material. Plums and cherries are especially susceptible. Hopefully you last pruning cut is not at ground level as this fungal disease is quite invasive. Good luck, Steve