Terra Pretta...Charcoal Use in Soil

Yep, I am gonna have to make a science project out of this.
Phooey, means I have to keep notes and have some methodology to this and record results and.......
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message> What I had in mind, was simply the crushing of oak lump charcoal ($4

I don't believe charcoal is biologically available carbon, any more than diamonds are (although it IS a lot cheaper! :-). Charcoal is some of the most durable stuff nature produces -- archaeologists can carbon date the unburned, charred pieces of wood from ancient campfires thousands of years after those fires finished cooking their venison. The charcoal just doesn't decay.
I put the ashes from my charcoal grill into the compost pile. Sometimes a largish half-burned briquette will end up slipping through my fingers unbeknownst to me and end up in the pile. Once the compost is deployed in the garden, these tend to float up to the surface slowly with rain and time. They are always just as good as new when this happens -- I let them dry out and then chuck them back into the grill for burning next time. Despite being soggy and buried amidst billions of otherwise hungry bacteria for long periods of time, first in the compost pile itself and later in the garden, they show absolutely no sign of decomposition, so I don't think they can be doing the plants any good (or bad, for that matter).
Kevin

Not a good idea then. The accelerant and lignite might be a bit of a disaster. Dora

And this is why I proposed using lump charcoal, which is nothing other than oak chunks turned to charcoal in a retort.
And to think, BIlly used to cook over this stuff, ;-)
Charlie

Who knows what burning them converts them into? Easy to make real charcoal, though. Wrap small chunks of wood tightly in foil and toss into the hot coals.

Listen here, buddy! You seem bound and determined to keep me under surveillance, doncha?
IT'S FOR THE GARDEN! HONEST!
Charlie
"Before all else, be armed." ~Machiavelli
On Apr 10, 1:41 pm, Charlie wrote:

Supposedly good to place a layer of charcoal in the bottom of a pot, where it absorbs toxins such as from root rot due to overwatering.
In article

Absolutely does not do this. Water cycled through activated charcoal (of the sort used in aquariums) has a filtering lifespan of about fifteen minutes, then does nothing. If mixed or layered into aquarium gravel, it does nothing, not even for fifteen minutes. If mixed or layered into potting soil, it does nothing.
Horticultural charcoal is a completely different form of charcoal. It is inert, has no nutrient value. It does absorb toxins. It's one and only benefit, if mixed into soil, is porosity keeps some oxygen in the soil. It does not filter waste, does not acidify or purify soil or water or oxygen, does not prevent disease. It might, only might, hold in a tiny bit extra moisture. The limited value is better met with perlite, bark, or peat. It's benefits to plant is slight to zero, though epiphitic plants may get some benefit from charcoal and other inert substances by right of not needing much in the way of soil nutrients.
-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
On Apr 11, 1:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@paghat.com (paghat) wrote:

What is the available potassium value? Remember that lye is made from wood ash, the same thing as charcoal ash.
In article

There's no such thing as "charcoal ash" as distinct from "ash." Burnt wood charcoal becomes wood ash. Wood ash has many benefits for soil which charcoal, being inert, does not possess.
-paggers