Ten mistakes concerning tomatoes

Page 1 of 2
<http://www.chiff.com/a/garden-tomato.htm
Touches on a few thing discussed here. Nice and concise.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org

Thanks for this useful link.
Item 3 in the list though suggests 6 plants for a family of four! I suppose for a family that size it may be enough for a few salads or nibbles. Our family is the same size but last year 22 outdoor plants(no greenhouse here sadly) were hardly enough so this year we did 30. The varieties are Gardeners Delight, Sweet Million(both cherry type) and Incas(plum) We preserve them though when we have a glut, in jars and bottles for curries, soups juices etc. and still run out of them thats why we grow so many. We still have to buy fresh ones out of season. Tomatoes my number 1 fav.
Thanks again Sandra and Micky

Ha, that's like my family of six, who couldn't be satisfied with 60 tomato plants last year! --S.

Thats a good thing, kids need vitamins and yours are obviously getting them. I think an early appetite for fruit and veg sets kids up to enjoy them for life. Do you preserve some of them? If so how, I am always looking out for different tried and tested methods. We are eating ours as fast as they ripen so next year we will find space for even more.
Best regards Sandra and Micky

Two of us here but with a couple of kids who show up and leave with jars of food.
I usually plant at least 50 and hope for the best. One year I planted 100 and spent the month of August between the garden and the kitchen. I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a lot.
This year blight has just about wiped out the tomato crop so I am making things that we have run out of, primarily spaghetti and pizza sauces. Besides they are quick to make and can.
As the local county extension agent says, "Copy Rotation."
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Have you ever made tomato jam?

USA
North Carolina Foothills

Guess you know about Iranian carrot jam ?
http://sadaf.com/store/product487.html
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:27:41 -0400, Bill who putters

I hate cooked carrots. Raw are fine.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
FarmI wrote:

Is it much thicker than tomato paste? At some point the moisture level drops and it gets hard to prevent burning.
Doug Freyburger wrote:

It is not different to making any kind of jam in that respect, when it gets to nearly cooked it will spit and spatter and you must stir continually and systematically all over the pot. I recommend trying green tomato jam at least once.
David

It's a jam - the sort that is sweet and that you spread on toast
FarmI wrote:

Tomato jam is the best use for all the green ones left on the plant at the end of season when you pull them out. Yum.
David
wrote in message

apple. It's been many years but I think I'm remembering correctly. Steve

I have 2 Armenian cukes that look like they have wilt. Right next to them are 2 lemon cukes who seem to be doing OK except for the 2 Romanesco cukes, right next to them, that turned out to be zuchs. Putain.
--
- Billy
wrote in message

The cucumber beetles seem to love the Armenians more than cantaloupes here. I can't grow either. The toughest ones seem to be the pickling cukes. Planting them and judicious use of pyrethrum is the only way to get enough for pickling.
It's my understanding that the only way to break the cycle is to stop growing all cucurbits and corn for several years. The beetle larvae feed on the corn roots then the adults feed on the cucurbits.
Steve

The Armenian cukes got into trouble quickly, and this is in an area where I haven't grown corn or cucurbits before. The growing tips of the cukes look fine but from there on down it looks like wilt. The lemon cukes, next to the Armenians, look fine except that the zuchs, which I mistook for Romanesco cukes, are over shadowing them. The Romanesco cukes are growing slowly, but look healthy and are each producing at least a cuke a week, each. Going to have to go in and open up the zuch canopy today. Problem is, the zuchs are growing toward the cukes, so the canopy is where the latest foliage is. Stuffed zucchini in on the menu tonight, again. I feel like we are saving the planet, one zuch at a time ;O) Presently, we are having zucchini at least 2 - 3 times a week, pesto every 5 days, about the same for bruchetta, and salad everyday from the garden. Tomatoes are just coming on. Between the bruchetta and salad, we ate 6, 2" tomatoes last night.
The cherry tomatoes (Blondkopfchen[yellow] & Koralic[red]) are steadily producing, the (2)Glaciers have 3 or so a day between them, and the Stupice seems to have caught its breath and is producing again. The Marmande have several ripening to a deeper redness, and the Old German is starting to lose its solid green look and is taking on some yellow streaks. It's hard to tell how close the Zebras are, and the Brandywines are huge and dark green.
Not too bad for 6 hours full sun.
--
- Billy

I've been meaning to try green fried tomato but have not yet gotten around to it when we have some to try. Now, with your recommendation, I'll need to add tom jam to that list or round to-its.
Our green toms tend to get used in Green tom pickle but I don't like that pickle nearly as much as my rich fruit chutney that uses ripe toms - I used to have to post jars of it to an elderly friend which turned out to be damned expensive given the cost of postage.
wrote in \>> Ha, that's like my family of six, who couldn't be satisfied with 60

Oh absolutely. Kids will eat what you feed them, if you make sure to feed them the right things early and often. My kids LOVE fresh vegetables. In good garden years they will barely eat anything I cook inside; they just go out to the garden and nibble all day.

We usually don't have much left over to preserve. I try to make tomato sauce when we have surplus, but it's been a few years since we did. --S.

My kids knew about wild blueberries early on and looking for edible pod peas early. But the oldest two still complain in a away about moving hens for eggs which I wonder if theirs will ever enjoy. Seems I may have to lead the way but a glimmer of hope did appear and a future son in law looks like he may consider self sufficiency a worth while endeavor . We will see.