teeny-tiny grasshoppers...

I have these tiny little grasshoppers hanging around in my garden. They seem to be concentrated in the area where I have my cabbage, cauliflower and brussel sprouts growing.

Anyone know what these are? What can I do to get rid of them? I think they are eating the leaves on the above-mentioned plants. There are holes in all the leaves. My bean plants also have lots of holes in their leaves.

Any advice is appreciated.

BTW, I'm in zone 5 - southeast Nebraska

Thanks, Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte J.

Leafhopper:

beetle:

insecticidal soap for either.

Reply to
Pen

... or they could just be baby grasshoppers. They do start out life quite small.

Steve

Pen wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Brigitte

Maybe you could try spraying late afternoon or early morning with double strength garlic and or pepper spray...they don't like that ....Or I use the two finger method if I can catch them...and squash and most times the birds in my garden get a free meal...

Another tactic is growing a distractor crop nearby which they can devour while your veges grow safely...

And if you have trouble with white butterfly on your brassicas, I find the best organic cure is 1 tablespoon of molasses to 1 litre of water and spray weekly...they hate that and the molasses is good for your soil...

Hope this helps...

Danny

Reply to
Danny Byrne

This solution may be more than you want to do, but since I got a Rhode Island Red chick (who is now nearly full-grown) I haven't seen any pests in the garden above the one foot high level. She just roams the garden, pecking at weeds and bugs, while, oddly, leaving the food crops largely alone. Next year I'm going to try Brussel sprouts again; last year they were decimated by cabbage worms early on and never recovered.

Of course, the neighbors think I'm a little nuts since we live in the middle of town, but I figure that she's a pet and not livestock.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Hello Brigitte, Yes I have these. At first I called them holy Italian grasshoppers because there were holes on my beautiful basil plant. They also like to eat the leaves on my tomato plants. .Apparently they like some succulent plants as well. I saw that one of my succulents was growing thorns, it was not that type of plant. I reached down to pick the thorns out and at least 10 of those teeny grasshoppers jumped off my plant. The are hard to see and catch. They don't seem to grow into large grasshoppers. The weird thing is they left my lettuce alone. Help! Zone 9-Southern California. Elisa

Reply to
Elisa