taxes and the best place to vegetable garden?

Page 2 of 2

Seems like Kombucha is going main stream (or is that Main Street?) with different flavorings. Wish I had time to fiddle with it, maybe this winter. What do you find to be the benefits of it? Is it a broad spectrum kind of thing or do you have particular applications for it? For example, Noilly Pratt sweet (red) vermouth has many different herbs in it (usually used as an aperitif) but I find a small glass of it is very effective for cooling hot stomachs (as happens when you've had one too many cups of coffee in the afternoon, and friends who have hot stomach reactions to tomato paste tell me that it takes the burn away as well). The herbs I would describe as wide spectrum, fudge factors (who knows what they do), whereas the hot stomach is a specific application. Is Kombucha more like the former or the later?
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

It's.... mixed. Dad has shown some interesting results using beneficial herbs in the teas, not just straight green tea. Things like dandilion and Matte'. The brewing process with the kombucha critter seems to enhance the effects.
You can tailor your tea mix to what you are trying to treat.
--
Peace! Om

Dandelion is OK but yerba mate is nasty tasting stuff. Hmmm. I wonder if you could make a "single malt" flavored kombucha? Maybe that's what Charlie is up to out in the "skunk works". He say he be brewing compost tea but he may be funnin' us;o)
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

The nice thing is that, like with any tea, you can add herbs for flavor as well as medical efficacy. :-)
Fruit juices too.

without burning plants? I've never tried it but dumping the poopy duck ponds we used to have (kiddy pools emptied by mostly bailing) seemed to be well loved by the plants.
Duck poop tea. <g>
--
Peace! Om

What kind of soil or soil mix do you use in the raised beds and containers?

A mix of local dirt I dig out of what used to be my emu and chicken pens mixed with mulch and limestone sand. I occasionally add commercial topsoil as needed.
In some of the containers, I'm just using what I'm digging out of the old emu pen. I had lined them generously with sand at one time to keep the mess under control. The pens no longer exist but the soil is rich with composted manure in the sand I bought from the quarry.
It's working well in the pots when I mix it with some commercial mulch from Lowe's.
--
Peace! Om

Thanks. :-)

Cheers! :-)
--
Peace! Om

You also have ticks, chiggers, rattlesnakes, fire ants, tarantulas, scorpions, cactus and the Texas State Legislature. OTOH, you have great food and some of the best musicians in the world. And you had Ann Richards and Molly Ivins, both godesses.
Have you read the poem called "Hell in Texas"? It's about the devil looking for a place for a hell. He visited Texas and said it's too dry for a hell. I think Don Edwards (a Texan) recorded it as a song.
Picking on Texas gives us a great deal of pleasure, because my FIL and most of the other homesteaders out here all came from Texas. All of their kids speak with West Texas accents, even though none of them have ever set foot in that great state.
Jan

I've never had problems with those in 20 years. Since I control fleas for my dogs, I guess that's why. :-)

Only captured one in the 20 years I've been in this house. I'm a suburbanite. I live caught it and sent it to wildlife rescue. My worst pest is Norway rats.

Ok, those are a bitch, but controllable.

Those are welcome in my yard. :-)

Luckily, I've had zero problems with scorpions here.

Cactus is a problem?

California is worse. <g>

the time. I can post pics.
The further east you go, the more temperate it gets. There are pine forests in some areas. Texas is a BIG state and has nearly every climate. There is even swampland in the far east.
LOTS of lakes and rivers.

It's all good. :-) I rather enjoy Texas (and redneck) humor...
--
Peace! Om

I was gonna add Molly when I started reading, so I'll settle for another of my favorite *characters* and aTexan.
Kinky Friedman. I love the irreverant SOB.

"The folks in Mississippi are saying, 'Thank God for Texas.'" ~~Kinky Friedman ;-)

--
Charlie

"I don't remember the first half of my life. All I say is a happy
tstovall wrote:

Florida has bunches of retired people living there and you can grow veggies year around in most of the state. A truck farming area that most people don't think about is western Oregon, where you can grow different types of veggies all year. It has a mild climate and lots to keep your peepers busy for the rest of your life!!
Tom J Geargia, where we have something in the garden most of the year
Thanks Tom J, but Florida and Oregon and Georgia all rank bad for taxes. But I agree, for gardening, they are winners. ~tom

Where in San Diego, except the barracks, are the prices not out of this world? My experience is that $450,000 would get you a fixer upper. Other than the price, gardening, especially tropical fruit should be great. My brother is there, and grows bananas in his back yard.
--

Billy

You are right, my wording was wrong. I shouldn't have put a comma after world. ~tom

Check the more rural areas in the south east. We live in the Piedmont region of North Carolina, in the county. The house and 3 acres cost us just over $300,000. It is a brick house with 3 BR, 2 1/2 bath, living room, dining room, family room, large kitchen and full basement. Taxes are $2,500 a year. Electricity is not too bad, we pay about $.07/KWH. We have a well and septic system.
We have 4 seasons. Last frost is somewhere between 4-15 and 5-1. First frost is about 11-1. It is cold enough in the winter for fruit trees. I find that the only time I am not working in or preparing for the garden are November, December and January. By February I am starting seeds in the greenhouse. By the middle of March I am setting out the cool weather crops -- cabbage, broccoli, peas etc. The broccoli is starting to develop heads, the cabbage is heading. I picked some beets yesterday and have been picking broccoli rabe for a few days. The asparagus season is over for the year and strawberries are ripe. I just finished setting out my tomato plants, but I started late this year. I will be picking them from July until late October.
Not exactly year around, but pretty good. In fact, I really appreciate the winter rest period.
--
Susan N.

I had a relative just south of Atlanta GA that gardened almost year round. Taxes are low and houses modestly priced outside the cities and towns.