taxes and the best place to vegetable garden?

Page 1 of 2
I'm wondering where to retire. It would have to be in a location where housing prices are not outa this world, like San Diego, etc. But I also want a place that I can grow wonderful vegetables most of the year. Even if that means in a northern state with season extensions and a greenhouse. Or the deep south. or, what's your thoughts on climate and taxes!!!? Don't vege's taste better with less taxes? ~tom

Texas has no state income tax, property and housing are lower in many areas than in California, and South and South Central have loooong growing seasons.
--
Peace! Om

Texas is hard for me to figure the tax liability. Personal Property taxes vary by local districts/towns. And my own liability is that I don't speak Spanish. But it does list 41st out of 50 on my handy dandy state tax comparison chart. South Texas is way too hot for me but central Texas is so pretty and I think that the climate/soil for gardening in the hill country is great. ~tom

Actually, the soil in the hill country is pretty rocky. The alluvial plains below it tho' are good, but then there is the danger of tornadoes and bad storms.
There is a reason I live in the upper areas West of IH-35. The hilly terrain breaks up the winds. The worst I've gotten here in this house in 20 years is a couple of bad hail storms.
I garden in all raised beds and containers.

--
Peace! Om

I too garden in raised beds and containers, especially self watering containers. Thanks for the input on Texas. It's in the running. Where you are describing sounds like around Abeline. Is that Zone 7? ~tom

I honestly don't know the zone. :-) I've never paid much attention to those and I know that's not good, but... <shrugs>
I live in the Austin/San Antonio IH-35 corridor. I'm sure there are zone maps that will show it.

--
Peace! Om

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html
I tend to disagree with the map a bit in the area around Austin. Generally speaking, its a bit cooler to the west in the hill country proper than Austin itself during worst of winter.
Hill country proper, unless you're lucky enough to be in some bottom land, you have to have raised beds. Or have the soil brought in. West of IH35, may be lucky to have some locally usable soil of appreciable depth.
Water availability is always a problem in the summer in a typical year.
Texas has a 8.25% sales tax except for most foods. They tax vegetable juice, but not potato chips. I don't know why either. All restaurant foods are taxed same rate. Locally prepared bakery products are not taxed.
Property taxes vary by county AND local school districts within that county. Looking at last year's tax bill, the school district's portion is the biggest bite in taxes. I live in Hays county, in the Wimberley area subject to WISD taxation. Well over 2% assessed value is tax rate. Austin is in Travis county. Seniors get a property tax break at age 65 state-wide.
Got some decent rain today, with minor hail.
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
That is good information. sales tax at 8.25% is even worse than Tennesse. and yes, I can't figure property taxes in Texas because each town is different. plus school district taxation!!! ick. Gardening is getting more expensive as I read. Thank you!! ~tom "Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message wrote:

But there is no state income tax... <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

I agree. It varies a LOT due to changes in altitude.

Yeah, but you are safer from Tornadoes than if you lived EAST of IH35!

Yes and no. It's what makes raised bed and container gardening more attractive tho'. I've considered (eventually) checking out hydroponics.

BIG TIME!

I live in Hays county also, and in the suburbs within city limits. My lot with the house is .22 acres. The house (including the sun room/porch we added, it's insulated and AC'd) is 1,450 square ft.
Tax bill this year is estimated at $1,670. Just got the tax statement yesterday, but the actual tax is usually $50.00 to $100.00 less.
I just have a set amount of money deducted from savings into checking monthly, (BOA will set up the auto-debit) to pay for property tax and home owners insurance annually. That also acts as my overdraft protection.
Taxes in and near to San Antonio are MUCH higher, as is Austin.
--
Peace! Om

Property taxes are based on: value of your property per the county tax assessor, not the size of the lot or the square footage of the home. Yes, both play in determining that. So does the prevailing values of the properties in your vicinity. The tax percentage times the estimated property value equals the annual tax burden. I think you will find that if you can find an equally valued home/property in Austin/San Antonio, there would be little difference in the tax burden depending on the school district.
I physically go to the local bank and have them transfer my checking account monies to my savings account every month for property taxes and annual auto insurance premium. When either come due, I transfer the monies back and write the appropriate check. I used to do the transfer at the bank's ATM. But, I ran into something unusual that the bank clerk and customer service could not explain. They said the bank would hold funds if my total debits exceeded 1000 dollars. Together with my transfer and debits, it did exceed that. They said an internal transfer electronically from the bank ATM to my savings account should not be a factor. They could not explain it. My debit card was refused that day at the local dollar store for 9 bucks worth of dog food. Even though my checking account had over 2000 dollars in it. So, the bank personnel said to come in the bank and let them do the checking to savings transfer.
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Um, babe, yes they do! When I had the addition built on, they tried to give me a seriously over-rated tax increase! I objected as it's just a bloody sun porch. Got it reduced by around $300.00. Size and location of the lot, plus buildings and land improvements such as wells and outbuildings, etc.

I have. San Antonio is MUCH higher...

It's less hassle for me to do an auto-debit like I do for my morgage and enter it in the checkbook accordingly. I have a separate "checkbook" to draw from the money market (savings) account when I need to draw on it. I can also phone call to have money transferred back into checking, but it's not necessary.

I'd rather not have to go there in person. My schedule is a bit wierd because I work night shifts...
I could do the transfers thru paypal or on line banking, but I don't like putting my banking info. on the internet.
The phone calls work fine. :-) As do the scheduled auto-debits.
I use Bank of America.
With the savings account checks, I really don't have to do transfers to checking from savings, but I've currently misplaced the book. :-P
--
Peace! Om

Good for you. But, that doesn't mean the added square footage is the factor. No, its what they value your property at, irregardless square footage. That is, the improvement adding to your property value, irregardless the square footage added, is the factor. Contesting their assessment is always a good idea if it increases as a result of some improvement.
You forgot views. A view of the surrounding area from your property is also taxable. No, I'm not kidding.

School district?

I refuse, and continue to refuse to use any "online" form of banking. I do continue to use a personal computer without internet access to keep track of my banking/investments.
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

You wish! They tried to raise my taxes on me when I built the sun porch! I went down and disputed it, telling them it was only a bloody PORCH and not an addition to the house.
I won. ;-)

They told me they made the raise based on the additional square foot value. I'll let you take it up with my local tax ass-essor. <g>

I ain't got no view. :-( Just the street and neighbors yards, thankfully now blocked on two sides by privacy fencing. The world can see IN to my front yard.

Hays county. Can't recall the SA county at the moment. But, even Comal charges more.

It works. :-)
--
Peace! Om

The "view" that I was referring is for instance a hilltop or near hilltop home with view of countryside. Not related directly to you.
The tax assessor's rep at the contested property tax says their basis is the added square footage. That's their basis for the increase. If they had been successful, the value of the property would have gone up as a result. And, as a result, so would your taxes. The basis for taxing the property, the value would have increased. That is my point. Again, I'm glad you were successful in contesting their proposed property value increase.
Back to the view thing. They showed a proposed tax increase on my property due to what they thought was a view in the preliminary tax papers. Apparently, they "chickened out" as it did not show in my actual property tax breakdown. I don't really have any real view of the countryside due to the trees. Have to go up to the street to see that. I can see Austin and New Braunfels/San Antonio lighting the sky on most nights. Directly overhead, dark and good night sky/stars.
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Got it.

I envy you that. :-) Too much light here to see starscapes, but they are taxing you on the OVERHEAD view???

Try Kombucha.
--
Peace! Om

Try Kombucha? Kombucha for Parkinson's? Knew it was good for detox. Can you amplify your statement?
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Kombucha, especially if you eat the critter itself, has shown some positive effects for autoimmune diseases.
Need a critter? We have plenty. <g> Dad's been brewing and drinking it for years.
--
Peace! Om

Your dad worked for Google? The "critter" as I understand it is a vinegar "mother". Thanks for the reference.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Uh, no...

Pretty much. :-) It makes a very fine red wine vinegar! It has uses other than brewing green tea Kombucha.
--
Peace! Om