taxes and the best place to vegetable garden?

I'm wondering where to retire. It would have to be in a location where housing prices are not outa this world, like San Diego, etc. But I also want a place that I can grow wonderful vegetables most of the year. Even if that means in a northern state with season extensions and a greenhouse. Or the deep south. or, what's your thoughts on climate and taxes!!!? Don't vege's taste better with less taxes? ~tom

Reply to
tstovall

Texas has no state income tax, property and housing are lower in many areas than in California, and South and South Central have loooong growing seasons.

Reply to
Omelet

Florida has bunches of retired people living there and you can grow veggies year around in most of the state. A truck farming area that most people don't think about is western Oregon, where you can grow different types of veggies all year. It has a mild climate and lots to keep your peepers busy for the rest of your life!!

Tom J Geargia, where we have something in the garden most of the year

Reply to
Tom J

Reply to
tstovall

Where in San Diego, except the barracks, are the prices not out of this world? My experience is that $450,000 would get you a fixer upper. Other than the price, gardening, especially tropical fruit should be great. My brother is there, and grows bananas in his back yard.

Reply to
Billy

Reply to
tstovall

Reply to
tstovall

Actually, the soil in the hill country is pretty rocky. The alluvial plains below it tho' are good, but then there is the danger of tornadoes and bad storms.

There is a reason I live in the upper areas West of IH-35. The hilly terrain breaks up the winds. The worst I've gotten here in this house in

20 years is a couple of bad hail storms.

I garden in all raised beds and containers.

Reply to
Omelet

Reply to
tstovall

You also have ticks, chiggers, rattlesnakes, fire ants, tarantulas, scorpions, cactus and the Texas State Legislature. OTOH, you have great food and some of the best musicians in the world. And you had Ann Richards and Molly Ivins, both godesses.

Have you read the poem called "Hell in Texas"? It's about the devil looking for a place for a hell. He visited Texas and said it's too dry for a hell. I think Don Edwards (a Texan) recorded it as a song.

Picking on Texas gives us a great deal of pleasure, because my FIL and most of the other homesteaders out here all came from Texas. All of their kids speak with West Texas accents, even though none of them have ever set foot in that great state.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

I honestly don't know the zone. :-) I've never paid much attention to those and I know that's not good, but...

I live in the Austin/San Antonio IH-35 corridor. I'm sure there are zone maps that will show it.

Reply to
Omelet

I've never had problems with those in 20 years. Since I control fleas for my dogs, I guess that's why. :-)

Only captured one in the 20 years I've been in this house. I'm a suburbanite. I live caught it and sent it to wildlife rescue. My worst pest is Norway rats.

Ok, those are a bitch, but controllable.

Those are welcome in my yard. :-)

Luckily, I've had zero problems with scorpions here.

Cactus is a problem?

California is worse.

West Texas IS hell! The hill country is a bit of heaven most of the time. I can post pics.

The further east you go, the more temperate it gets. There are pine forests in some areas. Texas is a BIG state and has nearly every climate. There is even swampland in the far east.

LOTS of lakes and rivers.

It's all good. :-) I rather enjoy Texas (and redneck) humor...

Reply to
Omelet

I was gonna add Molly when I started reading, so I'll settle for another of my favorite *characters* and aTexan.

Kinky Friedman. I love the irreverant SOB.

"The folks in Mississippi are saying, 'Thank God for Texas.'" ~~Kinky Friedman ;-)

Reply to
Charlie

tend to disagree with the map a bit in the area around Austin. Generally speaking, its a bit cooler to the west in the hill country proper than Austin itself during worst of winter.

Hill country proper, unless you're lucky enough to be in some bottom land, you have to have raised beds. Or have the soil brought in. West of IH35, may be lucky to have some locally usable soil of appreciable depth.

Water availability is always a problem in the summer in a typical year.

Texas has a 8.25% sales tax except for most foods. They tax vegetable juice, but not potato chips. I don't know why either. All restaurant foods are taxed same rate. Locally prepared bakery products are not taxed.

Property taxes vary by county AND local school districts within that county. Looking at last year's tax bill, the school district's portion is the biggest bite in taxes. I live in Hays county, in the Wimberley area subject to WISD taxation. Well over 2% assessed value is tax rate. Austin is in Travis county. Seniors get a property tax break at age 65 state-wide.

Got some decent rain today, with minor hail.

Reply to
Dioclese

Reply to
tstovall

Check the more rural areas in the south east. We live in the Piedmont region of North Carolina, in the county. The house and 3 acres cost us just over $300,000. It is a brick house with 3 BR, 2 1/2 bath, living room, dining room, family room, large kitchen and full basement. Taxes are $2,500 a year. Electricity is not too bad, we pay about $.07/KWH. We have a well and septic system.

We have 4 seasons. Last frost is somewhere between 4-15 and 5-1. First frost is about 11-1. It is cold enough in the winter for fruit trees. I find that the only time I am not working in or preparing for the garden are November, December and January. By February I am starting seeds in the greenhouse. By the middle of March I am setting out the cool weather crops -- cabbage, broccoli, peas etc. The broccoli is starting to develop heads, the cabbage is heading. I picked some beets yesterday and have been picking broccoli rabe for a few days. The asparagus season is over for the year and strawberries are ripe. I just finished setting out my tomato plants, but I started late this year. I will be picking them from July until late October.

Not exactly year around, but pretty good. In fact, I really appreciate the winter rest period.

Reply to
The Cook

I agree. It varies a LOT due to changes in altitude.

Yeah, but you are safer from Tornadoes than if you lived EAST of IH35!

Yes and no. It's what makes raised bed and container gardening more attractive tho'. I've considered (eventually) checking out hydroponics.

I live in Hays county also, and in the suburbs within city limits. My lot with the house is .22 acres. The house (including the sun room/porch we added, it's insulated and AC'd) is 1,450 square ft.

Tax bill this year is estimated at $1,670. Just got the tax statement yesterday, but the actual tax is usually $50.00 to $100.00 less.

I just have a set amount of money deducted from savings into checking monthly, (BOA will set up the auto-debit) to pay for property tax and home owners insurance annually. That also acts as my overdraft protection.

Taxes in and near to San Antonio are MUCH higher, as is Austin.

Reply to
Omelet

But there is no state income tax...

Reply to
Omelet

Property taxes are based on: value of your property per the county tax assessor, not the size of the lot or the square footage of the home. Yes, both play in determining that. So does the prevailing values of the properties in your vicinity. The tax percentage times the estimated property value equals the annual tax burden. I think you will find that if you can find an equally valued home/property in Austin/San Antonio, there would be little difference in the tax burden depending on the school district.

I physically go to the local bank and have them transfer my checking account monies to my savings account every month for property taxes and annual auto insurance premium. When either come due, I transfer the monies back and write the appropriate check. I used to do the transfer at the bank's ATM. But, I ran into something unusual that the bank clerk and customer service could not explain. They said the bank would hold funds if my total debits exceeded 1000 dollars. Together with my transfer and debits, it did exceed that. They said an internal transfer electronically from the bank ATM to my savings account should not be a factor. They could not explain it. My debit card was refused that day at the local dollar store for 9 bucks worth of dog food. Even though my checking account had over 2000 dollars in it. So, the bank personnel said to come in the bank and let them do the checking to savings transfer.

Reply to
Dioclese

Um, babe, yes they do! When I had the addition built on, they tried to give me a seriously over-rated tax increase! I objected as it's just a bloody sun porch. Got it reduced by around $300.00. Size and location of the lot, plus buildings and land improvements such as wells and outbuildings, etc.

I have. San Antonio is MUCH higher...

It's less hassle for me to do an auto-debit like I do for my morgage and enter it in the checkbook accordingly. I have a separate "checkbook" to draw from the money market (savings) account when I need to draw on it. I can also phone call to have money transferred back into checking, but it's not necessary.

I'd rather not have to go there in person. My schedule is a bit wierd because I work night shifts...

I could do the transfers thru paypal or on line banking, but I don't like putting my banking info. on the internet.

The phone calls work fine. :-) As do the scheduled auto-debits.

I use Bank of America.

With the savings account checks, I really don't have to do transfers to checking from savings, but I've currently misplaced the book. :-P

Reply to
Omelet