Taters ...and garlic

I planted some Yukon Gold taters last summer , and they didn't do diddly - maybe because I planted them kinda late . The rows are well defined , so I can avoid that area when I till new ground for next year - the question is should I leave them and hope for new growth and a crop next year or just till 'em under and try again ? I did dig a little and found a few very small potatoes , but nothing I felt was worth harvesting . Also , is this the right time to get garlic in the ground for next year ? As much as we like it I'd like to have some out in the garden , and try out using the scapes . <note to self , get some daffydills for the wife this fall!!> I'll be expanding the garden space next year down hill some more . The soil further from the edge of the woods seems much more fertile if this year's results are any indication , and while I'll lose part of the blackberry patch I feel the trade off is worth it - those berries grow wild all over the place up here and they're a bi**h to pick .
--

Snag



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Where are you located? The rule of thumb for garlic is to plant 6-8 weeks before ground frost. You want the cloves to make root growth to anchor them, but little or no top growth to be winter damaged and cost them energy better used next spring. For me (upstate NY) hardneck types do better and, of course, make those scapes that SWMBO makes into pesto.
--
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic
Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Snag wrote:

tilling them under won't accomplish anything as the plants for next season will come up from the mini-potatoes so if you don't get all of those out of there you'll have sprouts next season. :)

planting time depends upon variety, but i have had no problems planting the hard-necked garlic as early as August and as late as November. plant the largest cloves possible. if planting from scapes, you will be waiting two years to harvest bulbs with cloves. the single bulb from a one year scape is edible but they are not easy to peel. instead i plant them a few inches deeper and use them as a green onion substitute through the winter and into spring (up until the plants start forming hard stems and the papery tunics on the cloves).

seedless variety is a great help and avoids much bloodshed. i won't let the thorny kind even get started around here, the red raspberries and wild roses are bad enough (and the sumac and poison ivy).
songbird
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
songbird wrote:

Eh , I was afraid of that . Mr Armadillo has been rooting for bugs in the tater patch , and he uncovered a few taters . I'll get the rest out before first frost . If they're gonna sprout , I want 'em to sprout where I want them to grow .

I cheaped out and picked up some bulk garlic at the store today . Big cloves will be going in the ground by week's end , time permitting <we're building , or should I say I'm building the first room of our new house> .

These are apparently native blackberries , and they do have vicious thorns . This year was kinda exploratory , first summer I've been here full <more or less> time . Next year I expect to provide a significant contribution to our food supply . If the deer cooperate I'll be supplying some of the protein too ...
--
Snag
out in
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Derald wrote:

I'm not a horn hunter , I'm in it for the meat . If a big buck walks in front of my sights , I'll pop him - if nothing else he'll make good jerky . But as you say , the younger the better , and I have no qualms at all about shooting does . Feral pigs are in our general area , but none close to our place . I'm trying to find a place to hunt them too ... we like pork . Oh , and we already have about 12 million trees on our place , only place left to plant any is the space cleared for our house , garden , etc .
--
Snag
But night hunting
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Derald wrote:

Kinda hard to hear an arrow from the DD ... I had a conversation once with a game warden about "defending" my garden from deer . Bottom line is there better be a good fence . One of my neighbors has built an 8 foot fence around his garden because they kept jumping over the 7 foot one . I was kinda surprised I didn't have a problem last summer . Must have been because I didn't grow any of the stuff they really like .
--
Snag



Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I was told by a commercial farmer that you need to get the fencing up early, because if the deer ever find out there's something good in there, all bets are off. /me/ who loves Bambi au vin.
--
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic
Zone 5/4 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Gary Woods wrote:

Au vin is also a great way to tenderize . I make a marinade based on red or sherry and olive oil with spices for the tougher cuts of beef , makes a world of difference .
--
Snag
out in
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Derald wrote:

The deer here in North central Arkansas breed like rats ... and will eat everything they can get to especially in a dry year when their natural forage is skimpy . Last year was wet , might be part of the reason they stayed away . Our half-coyote dog might also be part of the reason , though they don't seem put off by her scent around the corn I put out by my game camera <legal to hunt over bait here> .
--
Snag
out in
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.