Sweet Potato Storage Update

Page 2 of 2

    You done good. Although, the sweet potatoes probably will keep longer if you interleave them with newspaper, straw, or some other absorbant, wicking, material so the sweet potatoes do not touch each other. As they age, the sweet potatoes will get sweeter and the flavor willl intensify somewhat. Properly "cured" sweet potatoes will hold for up to two years if properly stored in the dark, not touching each other, at temperatures between freezing and 80-85 (F). I just keep mine in in boxes, interleaved with newspaper or wheat straw in my not air-conditioned Florida home.     The secrets to long-term storage are proper curing immediately after digging and keeping them from touching one another in the storage container. IME, sweet potatoes are most likely to begin rotting at the point(s) of contact. "Curing" is nothing more than leaving the sweet potatoes exposed to circulating air at temperatures of 80-100 (F) for a period of from a couple of days to about a week. This process allows the skin to dry and become thicker and somewhat leathery in texture. For best results, do _not_ wash the sweet potatoes; instead, after they're cured, simply brush off residual garden.
Gratuitous Aside: My late father, born in 1910, lived his early life in the rural U.S. South (central Georgia) where and when sweet potatoes were a year-around staple for man and livestock. They were stored among pine straw in earthen pits ranging from four to six feet deep. In later years, when reminiscing about the bad old days, he often joked that the swine got the best sweet potatoes because, when the folks would refurbish a pit to accomodate a new crop, the hogs got the remainder potatoes which, by then, would have fully developed in flavor and sweetness.