Sweet Peppers wilting stunted

man I always have problems with sweet peppers, can grow everything else but peppers are always a problem. Anyway, my peppers were going great until the bottom leaves starting falling off, now only the tops are left, they are brown at the edges, at the middles, you name it. Only a few leaves left on the top but many new small leaves popping out of the main stem, like its trying to come back. I have two patches of peppers physically seperated, now I'm starting to see problems with the second patch, during hot weather six or seven of them get real droopy, even though the soil is damp and mulched, the others are fine but probably won't be for long. Brown edges are starting, is this a fungus? I read a description here and it sounds like the problem

(Fusarium wilt and Verticillium wilt), apparently there are no peppers that genetically are immumed, so thats why my tomatoes don't seem to be infected, but thats just a guess.

In any case is it time to go get a gas mask and some fungicide? These are all in raised beds, cow manure and seaweed/fish emulsion fertilized (also compost from grass and leaves mix). I lime as needed.

Its funny, my neighbor plants his peppers directly underneath a huge oak tree, no mulch and his do great!(his tomatoes do horrible) My plants are in direct sun, do sweet peppers like semi shade?

Reply to
bungalow_steve

In my experience, bell peppers are more susceptible to disease than chilies. I didn't grow any bells this year for that reason. I planted several other varieties of sweet peppers, and some of them aren't doing well. I just pulled up 2 Corno Di Toro plants because they looked so bad.

In fact, speaking generally, _C annuum_ varieties are more susceptible to disease than any of the other species.

Take a few leaves into your local extension office and get an accurate diagnosis so you know what you're dealing with, if it's not one of the fungal wilts, they can direct you toward an effective treatment.

If it's Fusarium or Verticillium Wilt, there's not a lot you can do.

Do you test the soil? Could your mixture be too rich?

No, peppers like full sun.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Yes I test the soil, its ok and certainly not rich, cow manure/compost/fish emulsion are very low in nutrients so I have a tough time maintaining a normal level of nutrients.

Looks like it Verticillium Wilt

Reply to
bungalow_steve