sweet corn spout leaves all yellow

My sweet corn sprouts are all green and yellow. Are the yellow parts dried out? I have been watering everyday-every other day, so i don't see why they would be dried out (plus, its not very hot yet in the East Bay Area of California). They just look sort of wilted and sickly looking. I fertilize them, spaced them out about 1.5 ft. and i don't think they have a diesease (although some of my tomatoes have leaf spot). Help!!

Reply to
BenGman

How tall is this corn at the moment? Is the yellow in the form of yellow stripes or streaks? Is it more like yellow spots or areas? Is the yellow on the oldest leaves or only the new emerging leaves? Is every plant affected or only certain corn plants?

Steve

Reply to
Steve
1) the corn plant is about 5" tall 2) the yellow is more like in an area, in sploches 3) it mostly is around the outer leaves 4) i have a bit of leaf spot going on my tomato plants, but other than that, it is only on my corn
Reply to
BenGman

Has it been cool where ever you are? Corn can have trouble with nutrient uptake if the soil is cool. That problem will not continue after the temperatures warm up. What you describe doesn't sound like any common corn disease to me. I think your corn will out grow it. You'll know in a week or two. By the way, corn does need a lot of nitrogen. Without it, the plants will be weak and yellow. I use lawn fertilizer on mine, but not until it is a foot tall or so. (This is after normal 5-10-10 or 10-10-10 at planting time.)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

It could well be the weather (if by 'not very hot' you mean highs under 70). I saw a field of corn last Friday in the next county over that was really pale/yellowed. It has been quite cool and a bit dry this spring (highs in the 50s and 60s with only the occasional day hitting 70 degrees). The most recent MSU extention service vegetable crop advisory alert mentioned pale sweet corn and put it down to the cool, dry weather.

My own first planting of corn hasn't even emerged yet.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Reply to
Nicole H