SunSugar tomato

x-no-archive: yes

I found a SunSugar tomato plant at my local garden center, and thought I'd give it a try. It's supposed to be an earlier variety, a cherry-type tomato. This is the first time I've seen it offered locally (there seem to be more and more weird and wonderful new hybrid and heirloom varieties available every time I look).

Right now it's in a 3-gallon pot on my fire escape, it gets adequate sun, but after about a week or so outside its stem and leaves have turned dark purple (as tomato foliage often does upon exposure to cold). Weather has been sunny but somewhat cool and the plant hasn't get taken off. I gave it some Ironite and Scott's Vegetable Food (20-27-5) and a deep watering, last night.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area (Sunset Zone 16) and wonder if anyone else around here has tried this tomato. Thanks in advance.

-- dkra

Reply to
dkra

I don't know why all these people are using Ironite on tomatoes. Maybe it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, BUT....

I've never used it, gardened in five different locations for a total of almost 30 years, and have always had good tomatoes.

I'd never heard of Ironite before reading messages here.

I do use 'Tomatoes Alive' from

, when I can remember to use it, that is.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

i have some cherry tomatoes that don't really have any taste. I believe i just have the wrong variety. Does anyone have a cherry tomato variety that tastes so good you can't stop eating them?

thanks

Reply to
jfrost

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (USDA Zone 9/Sunset Zone 16/17) and have tried a variety called Sugar Lump. It's a very sweet, tasty red cherry tomato.

-- dkra

Reply to
dkra

I have really enjoyed Ruby (a grape tomato) this year.

Unfortunately, the squirrels and birds have also learned how good it is. :-(

Reply to
Laura Stanley

Sue D.

Reply to
suedaniels

Ah ha...... I thought our tomatoes were kind of bland.

Reply to
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Reply to
Mike Stevenson

I still hate cherry tomatoes, but I grow SunGold because my wife likes them and they seem to ripen a week or two earlier (in Spokane WA) than other varieties we've tried.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

i use "sweet cherry 100" from burpee. they are great. my brother-in-law( & neighbor) calls them "candy".

Reply to
jim book