Sunflower Questions

Ok, first of all, hello. I'm new here, and new to gardening (as o
today!). I live in Sarnia Ontario, Canada (near Toronto). A link belo shows where it is.
http://tinyurl.com/84pda
I was just wondering, what types of fruit will grow this time of yea usually (please don't say I'm too late this year)?
Also, I don't know if sunflowers are considered edible gardening, bu that's what I'll be using them for.
On the bag of the little package that the seeds came in, it says the should be sowed after last frost. My question is, would they be able t grow in pots, if I plant them outside, let them grow, then, come winter put them in a pot?
Thank you
-- Cricket_Fire
Cricket_Fire Wrote:

Thanks
-- Cricket_Fire

Definitely not enough time left in Sarnia to get finished melons, or sunflowers.

Greetings,
Your text says you live in Sarnia, your link points to Sudbury. With Sarnia at over 300 kilometers and Sudbury at over 400 kilometers, neither one is what I would consider "close to Toronto". In any event, there's really not enough time left this season for watermelons or sunflowers in Sarnia and even less in Sudbury. Be ready next year to plant some time around the last week of May. 'Till then, get some seed catalogues to browse during the long winter nights. Quick question: If you live in Ontario, why access Usenet through a UK site?
Ross. Southern Ontario, Canada. New AgCanada Zone 5b 4317'15" North 8013'32" West To email, remove the obvious from my address.
RR wrote:

I'd add to that, plan to start them indoors in pots. That's what everybody does when you are growing a plant with a longer season than you have. I grew dwarf sunflowres that were a foot tall in 4-5 inch pots and I've started both watermelon and sunflowers in pots for transplanting.
You'll probably want to see them 4-6 weeks before first frost. Then harden/acclimate them to outside for a week or two. Plants grown indoor can't withstand direct sunlight and outside winds, so you put them in a sheltered spot so they strengthen up, then plant them in the ground.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 3rd year gardener http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/album?.dir=/2055&.src=ph