Summer found us

105F in Santa Rosa, 107F here. Opened up the house last night to cool off. The outside temp went to 53F, the house to 70F.
The paper says it will be 99F today, Accuweather.com says 92F.
The heat didn't seem so bad yesterday, but I'm feeling a little stunned today. The tomatoes enjoyed the heat. You could almost watch them redden.
Chance of showers on Sunday, go figure.
--
- Billy
On 8/25/2010 12:14 PM, Billy wrote:

Here's a question for you, Billy. Will excessive heat cause tomatoes to go dormant?

Here you go Frank, Billy has been busy with carbon issues and more.
http://ag.arizona.edu/ceac/research/archive/heattrial.htm
The tough part is defining the question. In this case it was tomato heat tolerance.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org

they won't polinate if too warm at night they'll shrivel up and die if too hot during the day
On 8/25/2010 1:29 PM, AZ Nomad wrote:

Had not thought about pollination. I had a lot of ripe tomatoes but now only a few green and not as many as in the past. Protracted hot weather seems to have brought on a stasis. Weather is getting cooler so maybe numbers will come back.

t> wrote:

Yes, they will resume with cooler weather. Tomato varieties vary with their tolerance for hot weather. I have found Park's Whopper Improved, and Beefy Boy to withstand high temperatures well. Super Sweet cherry never stops. Cool nights do help. Emilie NorCal
Frank wrote:

No but it can interfere with flowering.
David

Hi Billy I am going to answer all other posts here at once.
Thanks for correcting the Chaffin farm website to www.chaffinfamilyorchards.com/ It is a great place; I went on a tour of their farm this Spring.( It was COLD then.) They do CSA and the local farmers markets. Their fruits are all wonderful and they always sell out.
I have to get all my outside work done early also. Temp got to 102 yesterday. Today it is 96 at 1pm. I had to quit at 10am. Nights have been a cool 55-60. You asked about Lake Oroville. No we don't go there much; it is mainly a boater's lake. It's not very cool there unless you are out on the water, and it's not a very pretty lake. We do like Black Butte Lake, to the west. It's like going back to early Calif. of about 200 years ago. Also we go up to the mountains. This evening we will take a supper and go up to Butte Meadows by the creek.
Garden continues even in the heat. I kind of neglected the zuch, and found 2 this am about 24 inches long, 14 inches around at the blossom end and weigh about 10 lbs each! The peaches have been wonderful, but I picked the last this am.. Figs are still good. Tomatoes took a little break for about a week, but I had a ripe one in a sandwich today, so they are back.. Super Sweet cherry continues even thru the heat.
You keep cool also Emilie NorCal
In article

Presently 2 PM and 99F. I don't think it's done.
--
- Billy
In article

Thinking easy sauna.