? Sudden death, 10 year old cherry tree

I've been out of town for 3 weeks; I got back last night. My sour cherry tree looked perfectly healthy when I left, but now all the leaves are dead and brown -- except for about 10 leaves that aren't *quite* dead yet. I looked around the base of the tree for signs of a peach tree borer, but nothing. I also don't see any insect or mite damage to the leaves. The ground under the tree is neither really dry nor really wet. I don't see any twisted growth like you might find if someone sprayed it with herbicide.

Any idea what might have caused this? Is there any hope for the tree?

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

madgardener

First check if the tree is truely dead, or just under a lot of stress from some disease, or insect. Make random scrapings of the bark and check that the layer just under it is still green (the cambium layer). If it is brown, that portion of the tree is gone. If the tree shows indications of life, put in on a regular spray schedule of fungicide and pesticide (if you haven't already done so). The tree may recover next year, so don't be in a big hurry to cut it down, unless you find it is mostly dead wood. My Montmorency had a bad spotted leaf problem last year, but seems to have recovered this year with a fair crop of cheeries. You might try moving some of the dirt from around the base of the tree to check for insect invasion.

Sherw> I've been out of town for 3 weeks; I got back last night. My sour

Reply to
sherwindu

Does the tree shade part of your neighbour's yard, or block their view, or drop leaves into their pool, or might its roots be near their pipes or house foundations, or taking nutrients from their garden? Are relations with your neighbours somewhat strained?

Reply to
John Savage

No, no, no, no, etc.

Any my wife likes this tree too, so that's not it.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I I think I may have lost a pear tree the same way this summer. It is in a place where it usually does not need water (base of a hill), but we have had a drought and the lack of water seems to have killed it. Still, I have a few leaves left, and I am watering in the hope it makes a comeback next year. If not, I'll cut it down then. It did alert me to the stress my other fruit trees were under, and they seem to be doing OK now.

Reply to
Rick

LOL. :-) those were all good questions, weren't they? Bob, in spite of the encouragement that others have given, I would bet the farm that your tree is dead. Both sour cherries that I have owned over the years died in a similar way. (but not exactly) My trees went into fall colors and dropped their leaves in August. The next spring they were 100% dead. I had at least one plum do that too. No visible explanation for it either. I have also had apples leaf out and look normal in the spring then stop growing and the leaves wilt and go brown. That happens in June or early July. I believe with the apples it is a case of winter injury to the trunk and/or branches. The damage seems delayed because the buds open and only wilt after the damaged wood can't transport enough water to keep them going. (not likely your problem) I live where it gets to 30 below nearly every year and some years to -40. Weird things happen to my trees.

Steve in the Adirondacks

Reply to
Steve