Substitute for lettuce

Hi all, I am looking for a substitute for lettuce to use in salads, as I can't digest lettuce very good anymore. I have tried corn salad and couldn't get it to grow or produce very much. Endive is too bitter.
Does anyone know of a good salad plant that produces well and has a mild taste? Thank you Ronald
Add pictures here
βœ–

A very common substitute is fresh spinach leaves. Chard will also work.
Hope this helps? :-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
βœ–
Spinach? Beet Greens? I like them.
John!
ronald wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com says...

Spinach? Orach? mild Mustard greens?
Try some of the Oriental greens as well.
I like a little arugula to spice it up, but you may find it too strong.

βœ–

As others suggested, young spinach or silverbeet leaves would be a good substitute. Maybe shredded cabbage, e.g., the small sugarloaf, or any variety harvested young. Young dandelion leaves, nasturtium leaves, celery leaves. Mustard or cress seedlings, or any sprouts: bean, pea, etc., though I have heard that some of these (viz., alfalfa) should be stirfried and not eaten raw otherwise much of its nutrient content is unavailable to our digestive system. (Similar thing applies to tomatoes--the fruit, I mean.)

βœ–
il Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:37:09 GMT, John Savage wrote:

I use rocket a lot (rucola).
--
Cheers,
βœ–

Maybe you could try growing Rocket. It may not be mild enough though. It has a taste that reminds me of cashew nuts. I find I can grow it all year, and its become my most reliable green leafy salad vegetable.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Rocket is another name for arugula.

βœ–

Malabar spinach might be a good choice if you garden in a warm climate.
Olin
Add pictures here
βœ–

If the problem is digestive, I would guess any similar green leafy veg would have a similar effect. You could sample spinach and perhaps some of those 'mixed baby greens' available in supermarkets to test, before going to the trouble of growing them. There are many types of salad other than "tossed green."
Add pictures here
βœ–