Stuff they never tell you

Page 2 of 2
There is a classic book about this called "Putting Food By." It is inexpensive and available at amazon.com

I have read/heard that carrots keep longer in the fridge if you cut off the top half inch or so of the carrots because that part is alive and it will take nutrients from the rest of the carrot.
Potatoes will get sweet if you put them in the fridge.
I once tried to store garlic by putting the peeled cloves in undiluted white vinegar in the fridge. Every one of them promptly sprouted.
I found this file somewhere:
Refrigerator
Apples, Apricots, Artichokes, Asparagus, Beans (Lima, Snap, Green, Beets, Blackberries, Broccoli (remove from plastic bag), Brussel Sprouts (remove from plastic bag), Cabbage, Cantaloupe, Carambola, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Cherries, Coconut, Corn, Cranberries, Cucumbers, Dates, Eggplant, Endive, Escarole, Grapes, Greens (Collard, Kale), Herbs (most types), Leeks, Lettuce, Melons (fresh cut), Mushrooms (most varieties), Nectarines (ripe), Nuts, Okra, Onions (Green, remove from plastic bag), Peaches (ripe), Peas (green, snow), Peppers (bell, chili), Pineapple, Potatoes (red,white), Radishes, Raspberries, Romaine Lettuce, Rutabagas, Salad Mixes, Spinach
Room Temperature
Avocadoes (cold intolerent), Bananas (to ripen and store), Dried Fruits, Garlic, Grapefruit, Honeydew, Kiwi (unripe), Lemons, Limes, Mandarins, Mangoes, Melons (whole), Onions, Oranges, Papayas, Peaches (unripe), Pears (unripe), Peppers (chili dried), Pineapple (whole), Plums (unripe), Prunes (unripe), Potatoes, Pumpkins, Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes, Watermelon
Here's a few links:
http://www.homecanning.com / http://www.wannalearn.com/Home_and_Garden/Cooking/Beginner_Cooking / http://southernfood.about.com/od/canning / http://www.greenfingers.com/gardenmagazine/magazine.asp?subcategoryr http://www.weblife.org/canning.html http://www.mountain-breeze.com/kitchen/canning /
Atleast you knew enough to ask. :) I wish someone had told me about the 'time share escort service' when I went to Cancun.
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:23:29 GMT, "Dennis Edward"

You might enjoy 'The Food-Lover's Garden' by Angelo Pellegrini. While checking that I remembered the title correctly, I ran across this:
http://www.cambiumgardening.com/books/growing_food/1558210253 /