Study Says Overuse Threatens Gains From Modified Crops

<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/business/energy-environment/14crop.htm l?hp>
--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Two years ago GMO crops were slammed by a report from the University of Kansas, which incorporated information from the University Nebraska as well, that stated GMO crops yielded only 90% of the best conventional crop's yeild (?). http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/04/20/8405 For those with a problem with Common Dreams" I should note that this article first appeared Sunday, April 20, 2008 in The Independent/UK.
This latest report address the older study: "The report said that when genetically engineered crops were first introduced (1996 according to the article, early 1990s according to Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food>) some had lower yields than conventional varieties, a finding often cited by critics. But the report said that newer studies showed either a modest increase in yield or a neutral effect." So says the National Research Council, which is affiliated with the National Academy of Sciences and provides advice to the nation under a Congressional charter.
This is a privately owned NPO. I would appreciate any information on funding.
So, conflicting reports on GMO yields.
--
"Overuse of this seductively simple approach to weed control is starting
to backfire. Use of Roundup, or its generic equivalent, glyphosate, has

Or our bellies. Nice dream to control weeds in depleted soils but just like how our plant food went west the souls and nutrients must prevail or we get empty food that looks good and BG just go up. I thought about soil vs. souls and it seems to resonate somehow.
Stuff dark and rich clings to my mind Move it about and I must help it. A seed a seed Nothing more than a promise to Enjoy tomorrows light.
--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

snipped-for-privacy@snip.net says...

Monsanto was doing white papers on the post glyphosate era, years ago.
Unfortunately they're not as stupid as they are evil and unscrupulous.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/monsanto.htm
--
- Billy
In article <wildbilly-C516C9.22553613042010@c-61-68-245-