String Beans Choices

What/s your suggestion for a bush string bean variety for succession planting in a Zone 7 square-foot garden?

How many row-feet do you plant to get a few dinner-for-three/s worth a week?

Reply to
TQ

not many, TQ. They are very productive. Having permanent trellis, I plant only pole ones, so YMMV. For pole, violet stringless, ten plants will give you that 1.5dinners/week for three. And you can plant them in a 40 inches row.

Reply to
simy1

Fortex from Johnny's. Stringless, taste good and can be allowed to get large and not lose quality. Second choice would be Kentucky Blue. Pick when medium size to avoid stringiness.

Reply to
Ernie

There's now a bush variety of French haricots verts, called "Rolande." Available from Renee's Garden and probably other places. I would succession plant several of them, since bush beans tend to mature all at once. -aem

Reply to
aem

I plant all my green beans at once, but am very careful to keep them picked. They will produce a long time if picked clean.

I know the general consensus is to do as you advise and in any garden that is planted for a 2nd crop, it is nice to free up some space along the way.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Thanks to all who offered their ideas.

Reply to
TQ

That is the ticket. I, too, pick them clean (with pole beans in an overhanging trellis it is very easy, the beans hang out of the leaves in plain view). if they don't catch diseases, they produce until the weather turns cold.

Reply to
simy1