Strawberry problem

My strawberry patch did very poorly this year. Small fruits, and some die-off after it appeared there was some rust. Last year they did somewhat better. The varieties are Honeyoe and Tristar (or Tribute, forgot)
Anway, I was either
A) renovate the soil, and replant, possibly in smaller amounts
B) Place them in strawberry pots
Other than cost, do pots have any other disadvantages? Being susceptible to the freezing perhaps?
Would yields be better? I would think that runners would be easier to take care of, and you wouldn't need straw. Also, picking woukd be easier.
Anyone with experience about this?
Thanks!s
Did they get enough water? While mine were producing, I had to water them every other day. You can put them in pots, but I think that is just a novelty. I have never seen any that produced enough to brag about. I would leave them alone, and next spring before they come back up, put some fertilizer down. Some years the weather causes almost anything to not grow like it was intended.
Dwayne