Strawberries

Hi
bit of a novice when it comes to things in the garden, but we have a planter about 3 feet high with strawberry plants in it.
I recall as a lad that we covered our strawberries in the ground with straw during the winter to protect them frost [I think].
Do strawberries need protecting from the frost? If so,any ideas on how to do it with this planter - it's far too large to move inside.
We live about 500 yards from the coast near Newcastle upon Tyne, and do get frosts.
Many thanks
Roger C
Roger wrote:

The straw is usually for mulch since they do not compete well with weeds and they like the consistent moisture. Strawberries make it outside unprotected here in Michigan, where the temps dip to 0F (-19C) most years.

Tnx to all for the advice. I think they will survive the winter without special protection. the North East of England can get chilly / frosty but usually not for long and not down to 0F (-19C)!
Roger C
You should be afraid if you get lot of snow for a long time . One solution that some people use is to cover strawberries with branches of conifers.
http://www.agardening.info
Roger je napisal:

Here in northern Illinois, I have noticed that winters with heavy snowfall take a toll on the strawberry patch. I don't know if it is weight of the snow or some lack of atmosphere and sunlight that is killing them. I have tried straw and small branches left over from pruning, but with not much improvement. I guess that the strawberries go dormant over the cold winters, so what is killing them?
simy1 wrote:

Physical damage to the roots; stems etc?
Roger C