Strawberries

Hi

bit of a novice when it comes to things in the garden, but we have a planter about 3 feet high with strawberry plants in it.

I recall as a lad that we covered our strawberries in the ground with straw during the winter to protect them frost [I think].

Do strawberries need protecting from the frost? If so,any ideas on how to do it with this planter - it's far too large to move inside.

We live about 500 yards from the coast near Newcastle upon Tyne, and do get frosts.

Many thanks

Roger C

Reply to
Roger

The straw is usually for mulch since they do not compete well with weeds and they like the consistent moisture. Strawberries make it outside unprotected here in Michigan, where the temps dip to 0F (-19C) most years.

Reply to
simy1

Tnx to all for the advice. I think they will survive the winter without special protection. the North East of England can get chilly / frosty but usually not for long and not down to 0F (-19C)!

Roger C

Reply to
Roger

Reply to
sherwindu

Physical damage to the roots; stems etc?

Roger C

Reply to
Roger

You should be afraid if you get lot of snow for a long time . One solution that some people use is to cover strawberries with branches of conifers.

je napisal:

Reply to
Luka