Storing Sweet Potatoes

We planted sweet potatoes for the first time this year and had a bumper crop. I googled about how long they could be stored and got answers ranging from three weeks to eight months. Has anyone had experience with this?
Paul
Pavel314 wrote:

I have been growing them for some years and trying various storage methods. You need a cool dry place, not cold like a refrigerator but cool. I grow them in summer and harvest in autumn when the frost has just knocked them down or will soon. So they are dug about mid May. I still have some left now which are OK. The weather is warming up for spring now so they will not last much longer, they will either shoot or rot or both. So three weeks is way too conservative and more than 5 months would require temperature controlled conditions that I don't have.
David

My experience is much the same as Davids. If you do not have a cool storage area, wash the sweet potatoes, bake in the skins and freeze in bags. I find them to be good up to a year prepared this way.
Congrats on your crop, I haven't dug into mine yet but the vines have run 10-12 feet. Steve

Don't forget the vines can be treated like spinach.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

Wow, no kidding? All those years & all that wasted food, got a recipe?

<http://www.google.com/search?q=sweet%20potato%20leaves%20recipies&ie=utf -8&oe=utf->
Amazing world is it not? I'd still stand with thinking of them as spinach or malabar spinach.
<http://www.google.com/search?q=%20malabar%20spinach&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

potato vine had eluded my notice. New culinary delights await!

I mentioned this to my wife, who feels that eating sweet potatoe greens is going a bit too far. However, I plan to nibble a few this weekend, just to see what they're like. If I like them, maybe I can convince her to put some in the salad. Or at least throw them over the fence to the sheep. And thanks to everyone for their storage suggestions.
Paul
Steve Peek wrote:

Amazing. I looked them up in wikipedia (with the usual caveat that the error rate on wikipedia is lower than in printed encyclopedias) to see how they are catagorized.
Before looking them up I thought they were with tomatos and potatos in the nightshade family. Nightshade leaves tend to be toxic sometimes very poisonous.
It turns out the sweet potato isn't even in the same family as the nightshades. It's in the same order but not the same family. Non-toxic leaves commonly fed to livestock.