Storing Seeds

Which do you consider better for medium term storage (say up to three years) of vegetable and flower seeds, paper envelopes or small plastic bags. The seed will be stored in the refrigerator.

I don't have room for jars/cans.

Thanks, EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

I store mine in little zip top bags in the freezer. They will basically keep "forever".

Reply to
Thos

I once read (and agree with) the idea that since anything coming out of the freezer usually collects condensation from room humidity, seeds should be in sealed bags and allowed to come to room temp before opening, unless you WANT them to become moist (maybe planting them right away). Place all the little bags into two larger ziploc bags, one inside the other.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You may want to look at other responses over at

Billy

I store my seeds in all sorts of containers and I keep the containers in tin boxes in a big walk in pantry where the temperature is fairly constant.

I use TicTac boxes, I use tiny little heavy duty envelopes (normal white mailing envelopes are the pits IMHO), I use small glass bottles and even matchboxes.

Reply to
FarmI

For the last twenty (!!) years, I've been storing my seeds in their original packets in a Tupperware 'breadbox' in my refrigerator. I've grouped all the similar varieties (ex.: lettuce, cos; lettuce, Batavian; lettuce, leaf; tomato, salad; tomato, paste; etc.) together in zip-lock bags.

Corn seed I don't store more than one year past the original packet date.

For some vegetables, like onion and parsnip, it is best to get fresh each year, but most can easily be stored for three or more years this way.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz