Still nothing ...

Strawberries have been in the ground for just over 3 weeks now , still no growth - these were dormant plants , packed in a bundle and buried in dry powdered moss . So today I dug one up, and it looks just exactly like it did when I planted it . At least it hasn't rotted . I stuck that one in a small container of water , I guess we'll see what happens with it sittin' on the kitchen windowsill . If it starts doing something , I'll wait a bit longer before I plant something else in that space . If after a week or two it hasn't done anything I'll plant the rest of my seed taters or maybe some cantalopes or something there.
--
Snag
Learning keeps

There are two kinds of strawberries, June and EverBerries. Newly planted June berries will probably show up next June and do very little until then. They will need tender loving care during the summer, like weeding and small amounts of fertilizer. Ever Berries will produce small amounts of strawberries through out the summer. June berries come in all at once around June for the northern hemisphere. a few weeks after flowering the strawberries will come unless a late freeze get to them.
I prefer the June berries for canning. But then I have a feeling you know this already. From previous discussions.

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:48:03 +0000 (UTC), Nad R

The June berries we put in this spring are already 3" tall and some have blossoms. If the roots have not done anything in 3 weeks I am betting they are dead.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

She did say they were dormant? I bet your taller berries came from your local nursery. I wonder if the she bought them through the mail they could have been DOA. But then are not bare root plants need to be soaked in water for a day or two before planting directly into the ground?

Nad R wrote:

Nad , I'm not sure who you're responding to ... I bought mine at Kmart or Walmart, can't remember which and I went to both that day. I planted according to the instructions on the bag . Nothing said about soaking , just a caution to be sure the roots were buried and that the (can't recall the term - crown ?) wasn't . As much rain as we've had , I don't think lack of water is the problem ... we've had something like 8-9" of rain since I planted . A few days should tell if I bought dead plants ... if that one in the water on my window sill doesn't do anything in a few days I'll jut consider that 5 bucks a cheap lesson about packaged pants .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Lately my brain has not been focused. Staying up half the night is something I need to stop doing, since I retired eight months ago and have not yet to get my act together in this still joyous delusional state of mind.
I have always purchase my plants and supplies at a rather large high end nursery near by, at least forty acres in size. They always have first rate plants of every kind and most of their employees have degrees in horticulture. I have few problems if any with their plants. So when it comes to mail order or other places... I probably do not know what I am talking about :(

Nad R wrote:

So I shouldn't expect ANY growth at all yet ? I would expect these should at least be putting out some roots and showing a bit of green on top ... these are the June bearing variety, which I didn't realize until after they were in the ground . BTW, I'm in Memphis TN , and it's been something like 6 -8 weeks since the last frost . Soil isn't very warm yet , we've had a fair amount of cool weather and quite a lot of cloudy/rainy days .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

To clarify the information on our last Earlyglow strawberries. They were billed on 3/21/11 and would have been planted within a week, allowing for shipping. They were dormant plants, some may have shown a hint of green leaf but most didn't. The roots looked somewhat dry. The plants are now about 3" high with nice sized leaves and an occasional flower. These were purchased mail order from Miller Nurseries. www.millernurseries.com
We have also purchased several fruit trees from them.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills