Starting Squash

Is there any advantage to starting Zucchini and Yellow squash inside and transplanting? MJ
You may gain a week or so in harvesting your squash. Not worth the effort to me, but for a few plants, the earlier harvest may be worth it to you.
MJC wrote:

Summer squash wants warm soil -- at least 65F -- to grow well. Starting it inside and then transplanting it when the soil is warm enough will get you to harvest sooner than waiting to plant seeds directly in the ground. No special care is needed when transplanting. -aem
Don't plant them inside too soon. They need their tap root to go down into the ground, not round and round your starting pot. I would give them a couple of weeks, and then put them into the ground. I made that mistake on watermelons and had to water them every other day.
Dwayne

On 3/7/06 6:03 PM, in article 935b7$440e3b83$cee617f2$ snipped-for-privacy@st-tel.net,

I have had good luck growing squash hydroponicly. My big problem has been getting good germination. I have been starting them in rock wool cubes.
Bill -- Ferme le Bush
MJC wrote:

Two weeks earleir harvest. Plant them in a large pot, and put them outside no more than three weeks after seeding, it goes very fast. It does not sulk like melons or cukes if you disturb the root, though it would be best to leave it alone as much as possible.