Starting seeds yet?

Zone 5, southern Vermont/NY capital district -

I think it's time to get pepper seeds started - what else should I be starting from seed this time of year? I expect I'll be able to turn over the soil in my backyard boxes (Bartholomew's square foot method) by mid-April.

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

I started leeks a bit over a week ago, and probably could have started earlier; the alliums are slow at the get-go (much like me). I'm probably going to wait a bit on peppers, and tomatoes grow too fast to be started yet. Probably after a vacation in warmer climes shortly (think hula girls).

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at

Gary Woods

I think it is too early for warm weather veggies. If you will turn over the soil in mid-april, probably you should start your lettuce, chard, kale and other cool weather crops on March 1, and the tomatoes and the rest April 1.

Reply to
simy1

in message news:...

Yep, I agree that it's too early. I never start my indoor pepper and tomato seedlings before March 10 out here in the wilds of Washington state in zone

6, because we can have a frost right up to May 15.

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill Litchfield

In Spokane, I don't start them before April Fools Day, because *average* date of last frost is May 15th :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I have flowers coming up already. I sell hanging baskets at our local farmers mart so need to start a little earlier than most.

Reply to
wood_shoppe

I have started several dozen leeks already, and I have a couple eggplant seedlings and yellow tomato seedlings already "hatched". It's still clammy and hovering just below freezing most nights here, so nothing's going outside any time soon, but I'll have my heat-friendly transplants ready by mid April.

I figure I'll also start my peppers and grape tomatoes soon to give them several weeks headstart, as well.

Last year I started everything way too late (late March, as I recall) and had to wait forever to start getting anything to eat. The way I'm doing it this year, I hope to take full advantage of the length of the growing season here.

Mark, Zone 6

Reply to
Mark