Starting Seeds

I'm getting ready to start seeds for my garden... I got some lettuce, two types of tomatoes (one's an early girl hybrid, supposed to grow in

50 days.) and some carrots and green beens. Pretty good start for a soup, right? Now, where can I get some beef seeds? lol

I'm starting using dirt from a driveway project, which is pretty much all topsoil with some plants in it (which I'm working on straining out) so hopefully I'll have a good starting place.

I've got two tomatoes started and going excellently in a 5 gallon bucket. They hopefully will start producing here just as growing season starts. It will be so nice to have fresh off the vine tomatoes again, and not those little puny resteraunt style slices. (When I cut the tomato, I have only one on a sandwich... when they cut it, I have 3.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

If this soil has been part of a driveway, it may be contaminated with oil etc, and not good for your garden. Alternatively if it has just been dug up after spending years underneath concrete or asphalt, it will equally not be so good. In that instance |I would recommend digging in a dose of general purpose fertiliser, chicken manure or whatever you favour.

I would start the lettuce off in pots, several to a pot,then plant out when they're 2 inches or more tall, this means that you can turn over the soil when you plant them out and give them a head start over the weeds.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat