Starting again after THRIPS and tomato spotted wilt

So, I've just discovered a major infestation of THRIPS has taken over my tomatoes, chillis, and bell peppers, and I've now got 30-odd very poorly plants. Tomato spotted wilt virus has ravaged my small crop - just as they were flowering and fruiting.
Gutted. :(
I've begun the sad task of throwing out all my plants.
I basically need to know what to do now?
Do I throw away the soil and get new? (I have containers). Will new containers in the same location get a re-infestation? Should I take some measures to prevent a future crop from being infested too?
Any practical advice, please.
--
solar flick

On Sunday, December 2, 2012 7:57:00 PM UTC-7, solar flick wrote:

A fairly comprehensive fact sheet for control can be found here:
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/thrips.pdf
Good luck...you're going to need it.
On 12/2/2012 9:57 PM, solar flick wrote:

keep in check. Next season I'm going to empty old soil, wash pots with bleach and try new soil.
I had discussed this problem with a guy up the road that maybe has an acre of tomato plants and a roadside stand and he said that is the only solution. He had gotten this advise from the agricultural extension at our local university.
solar flick wrote:

where are you at?
what were the growing conditions like recently?
songbird