Squash seed saving

Got a bunch of squash seeds that I would like to keep until next May and attempt to grow the various varieties. What is the best method to keep them? Thanks.

Reply to
MrMusic

Easy easy! ;-) I do it all the time...

I rinse them in a screen strainer to get all the goo off, then leave them in the screen strainer to dry really well. They will dry well usually in about 2 days.

Put them into a plain paper mailing envelope and label it, then put them into a large glass jar. The jar helps keep the weevils out of them.

Cheers!

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Hi: I had some super Yellow butterstick squash in early summer. I let 2 of them grow to about 3 feet long for seed. I kept them in my kitchen until about Sept 15 and one of them was getting a little soft. I brought it out side and cut it open....It had been in my kitchen for about 6 weeks. I live close to St. Louis Mo. Zone 5-6... Anyway.. A lot of the seeds inside the belly of the beast had started germenating...with one inch sprouts. The squash had not rotted through or even close. I planted 4 of these germenating seeds in the ground and within 2 days ...boom. After 2 weeks these guys were growing fast but then the soil temp and night temp started going down and they stalled. I potted 'em up and brought 'em inside. Wow...they started to grow female flowers and male flowers even though they were 6 inches across and maybe 8 leaves....Anyway this is my first post on this group. Hope I didn't get carried away. My Fall garden has Lettuce, Radishes turnips Brocchili Cauliflower and B sprouts and cabbage. Thanks Joe Mc

Reply to
joemcsmarty

You may try pollinating the flowers with a cotton swab. You never know, they may produce during the winter if the pots are big enough and the plants well fed. Otherwise, just try and keep them alive and plant established plants in the spring.

Reply to
Nancy G.