split cantaloup/melon - still safe to eat?

If a melon/cantaloup splits while on the vine, can you still eat it? I only saw two ladybugs and a bee on the split section. Could I cut that whole section off and the rest still be safe to eat?
Sam wrote:

The insects are attracted by the sugar. It will probably be OK. The main microbe that would grow on a melon would be a fungus that you would see or smell and even then eating a little is not a big deal. I don't have a problem with cutting bad bits out of fruit and eating the rest.
David