Split branch on orange tree

A branch on our Moro Blood Orange tree has split. I think it was because of the weight of the fruit. I have propped the branch up so that it is no longer sagging so much.

Do we need to do something about the split or can we leave it the way it is?

Here are some pictures of the branch:

?image=pict0614zj6.jpghttp://img451.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0613cp2.jpghttp://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0612ms6.jpghttp://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0611ah6.jpg

Reply to
Daniel Prince

No one replied, so I am going to give it a try. I have experience with fruit tees but not with oranges. It seems to me that the tree is overloaded, so you should consider a stronger yearly pruning or even better thinning the fruit manually. You should have a fruit for every 25 leaves, at least that is the rule for northern apples and pears.

Next I would evaluate the whole tree and see if I can cut the branch below the split. If that looks too ugly, I would just keep that part well thinned for a couple of years and see how it goes. I am jealous though. Such a nice fruit, and the tree is loaded.

Reply to
simy1

You don't need to do anything about that kind of split. You should prune away those sucker branches, though, as well as any downward-growing branches. -aem

Reply to
aem

By "sucker branches" do you mean those little ones that are going straight up?

Reply to
Daniel Prince

By "sucker branches" do you mean those little ones that are going

yes. They should be removed every year, at least in apples/pears/plums and other northern fruits.

Reply to
simy1

And citrus. -aem

Reply to
aem

The topic of suckers has been covered, but your other problem with the split branches can be addressed. If this is a main leader or large branch, it may be worthwhile to try and save it. You can try splinting it. This would have had a

better chance of success if it was done very shortly after the break, but you can give it a try anyways. What you should do in the future is thin your fruit to relieve weight on the branches. Also, I prop up heavier laden branches with lumber that

has two nails to maintain position and some cushioning material against the branch.

Sherw> "aem" wrote:

Reply to
sherwindu