Speaking of 2 stroke engines...

Richard's question got me to thinking...
I've been thinking of getting one of those small tillers to cultivate small spaces and weed between plants after they are up and growing.
I always find the little 2 stroke engines a real pain in the butt to start. I'm ready to give up on string trimmers because of this. I notice the little tillers can have either 2 or 4 stroke engines. I was thinking I would get the 4 stroke. They should be cleaner and quieter and MAYBE would be easier to start.
What do those of you who use them think? Steve Calvin, you said you have a Mantis tiller. How is that one working out? Does it start OK? How about the other makes of small tillers? Anyone here using them?
Steve

I have a Mantis that is a two stroke. I also have a larger honda tiller that is a 4 stroke and I love it. If you are looking for a small 4 stroke tiller I know Honda has the FG100 http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/fg100.htm that is close to the size of the Mantis.
In general 4 stroke technology is getting a lot better. I agree those in the other thread that predicted 2 strokes going away. About the only thing you may need a 2 stroke for is an application where the motor can't be kept level such as chainsaws.
Thanks Bob.
Steve
Bob Provencher wrote:

first or second pull after being in the shed for 2 or 3 months. The engine it will run in any position. I've laid it down with it running and it kept running. Mack
Hi All.
I have a 2 stroke stimmer [ to cut grass in case you call it by another name] and seems to start o.k. from what I have read from this board you have a lot worse winters than we do, and you have most of the problems after winter. from what you people have said, I would think very carefully before you buy a 2 stroke. as you may be left with usless piece of equipment.
Richard M. Watkin.

Steve wrote:

Yup. I have the Mantis and it always starts just fine. I do put some winter stabilizer in the gas and run it to get it into the carb for winter storage.
To start it (assuming that you use the correct oil mix) just hit the primer 4 times, put the choke on full and pull the cord until it just starts to sputter. Then put the choke in and pull it and it should fire right up. Assuming that you've remembered to put the kill switch into the run position. (gee, bet you're wondering how I know that huh? ;-) )
The thing's an animal for digging. I love it. I wouldn't want to do a very large area with it but it's a digging fool.
--
Steve

Steve Calvin wrote:

Well, that's good to know. The experience with my new string trimmer has almost made me want to give up on anything with a 2 stroke engine. I put fresh fuel with the proper oil mixture in it when I wanted to use it for the first time last June. It was new, right out of the box. It didn't start and I followed the directions exactly. It was from Sears so I called the help line they provide. The only help they could offer was to read the exact same starting directions I already had followed. I got it started twice all summer. I tried and failed about a dozen times. I actually used it once for several minutes until I stalled the engine and couldn't start it again. Obviously, I'm not real happy about this. I put fuel stabilizer in it this fall but couldn't start it to run it through the engine.
Steve

I got a troy-build (now made by MTD like everything else) last spring, never had a bit of problems with it. primed it nine times (as per instructions) set the choke, pulled about 3 times. usually caught ont he 3rd or forth pull. ran like a champ until the (small) tank was empty...
I have an Echo chainsaw that sat for almost two years with no stabilizer or anything.. I figured it was gonna be a bear to start, but it started.. had to re-prime, and pull about 12 times, but knocked out my mother-in-law's tree this fall....
email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com please respond in this NG so others can share your wisdom as well!

trouble starting my machines. Jerry
Jerry Minasi wrote:

That sounds like it just might be a good idea. Years ago I used it on a car. I forgot all about that stuff. How, exactly do you use it on a little 2 stroke engine? Where do you put it?
Steve

I've found a squirt of gas in the carb does the job in most cases.
Bob
WD 40 works good too.
--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach,SC

But gas is a lot cheaper.
Bob