Sowing "isabgol" (Plantago ovata)

Are there any books, websites or journals where one can find information on germinating/growing plants?
In particular, I have Plantago ovata ("isabgol") seeds but haven't been able to find much information on when/how to sow the seeds. I've tried direct sowing and in a small seedling tray at the start of Victorian summer (in Australia), but haven't achieved any success.
snipped-for-privacy@lipidity.com says...

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/psyllium.html

I've germinated them, and got them up to 6" tall but they haven't done well in my garden, under trees, on the north side of a hill. <http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/psyllium.html P. ovata is a 119 to 130 day crop that responds well to cool, dry weather.
--
- Billy

Thanks, that looks like a great resource.

I may have some difficulty as well since the climate here differs slightly from the ideal, but I'll give it another try.
On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 00:01:05 +0000, Ankur wrote:

Just curious, why would you want to grow your own laxatives? I don't see the advantage of home grow psyllium. I could see having a plum tree and making your own prunes, prunes are tasty, but making your own Metamucil seems like a waste of time. What am I missing? Does isabgol have some other use?
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

As a food additive, it is used as a gum which changes (they say improves) the texture of factory prepared food-like substances. Perhaps there is a market for it in Vic.
David

The husk is just fibre, which does have a laxative effect, but fibre also lowers cholesterol reabsorption.
I know people who eat psyllium husk regularly, and I'd like to try eating the seed. It could also be useful as a thickener (eg. in soups).
But mostly I'm interested because it's an edible plant which there is a small chance of growing - it'll be good for biodiversity even if it doesn't produce much.
On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 23:23:22 +0000, Ankur wrote:

So your basically giving the George Mallory answer, "because it's there". Fair enough.