Sowing "isabgol" (Plantago ovata)

Are there any books, websites or journals where one can find information on germinating/growing plants?

In particular, I have Plantago ovata ("isabgol") seeds but haven't been able to find much information on when/how to sow the seeds. I've tried direct sowing and in a small seedling tray at the start of Victorian summer (in Australia), but haven't achieved any success.

Reply to
Ankur

phorbin

I've germinated them, and got them up to 6" tall but they haven't done well in my garden, under trees, on the north side of a hill.

P. ovata is a 119 to 130 day crop that responds well to cool, dry weather.

Reply to
Billy

Thanks, that looks like a great resource.

  • Billy

I may have some difficulty as well since the climate here differs slightly from the ideal, but I'll give it another try.

Reply to
Ankur

Just curious, why would you want to grow your own laxatives? I don't see the advantage of home grow psyllium. I could see having a plum tree and making your own prunes, prunes are tasty, but making your own Metamucil seems like a waste of time. What am I missing? Does isabgol have some other use?

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

As a food additive, it is used as a gum which changes (they say improves) the texture of factory prepared food-like substances. Perhaps there is a market for it in Vic.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott
  • General Schvantzkoph

The husk is just fibre, which does have a laxative effect, but fibre also lowers cholesterol reabsorption.

I know people who eat psyllium husk regularly, and I'd like to try eating the seed. It could also be useful as a thickener (eg. in soups).

But mostly I'm interested because it's an edible plant which there is a small chance of growing - it'll be good for biodiversity even if it doesn't produce much.

Reply to
Ankur

So your basically giving the George Mallory answer, "because it's there". Fair enough.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph