Southern Solstice 21 Dec. 12:11 US EST

Does that mean this year has two "longest nights"? Find a friend and make the most of them, sez I.

Loss of a pine tree, two Springs past, really improved late day sunlight availability to my garden but it's still deprived this time of year. Morning shade from nearby trees is compounded by the fact that (the few) deciduous trees casting morning shadows have not yet begun to lose leaves to any significant degree. No, not "global warming" but just a typical Florida "winter".

Reply to
Derald

we have had a light freezing rain and drizzle the past few days making the drive a skating rink. a day or two of sunshine would be nice to break that up. we haven't seen much sun at all in the past month, perhaps a few days worth when added up.

some snow cover is nice to keep the ground insulated. i'm glad to have snow cover than to have the ground bare and subject to repeated frost thaw cycles. those are tough on plants and the dry cold sucks moisture out of the soil.

as for the solstice, happy solstice. that's as good as it gets for celebration... we're over the hump and heading back to spring. :) :) :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

The 2-3 inches of rain we've had in the last 24 hours has melted the last of the ice and snow from two weeks ago ... Brushy Creek , which is usually a series of almost-stagnant puddles this time of year is big enough right now to float a canoe - better be a good canoe-ist because it's running FAST !

Reply to
Snag

May I just add a couple of woo hoo, woo hoos?

Reply to
Billy