Source of microgreens seeds?

I've been looking at seed catalogues and seed packets on sale locally in grocery stores, etc., and have seen that prices are much too high to grow ones own microgreens based on the price for the small seed packets.

Does anyone know of a source in _CANADA_ (or at the very least USA) of mixed microgreen salad green seeds sold in bulk - i.e., priced per lb or kg), by any chance?

I'd also prefer organic seeds, too.

Thanks so much in advance!

Reply to
S.Rodgers

What exactly do you mean by "microgreens"?

David Hare-Scott

David Hare-Scott wrote: ...

sprouts?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Try Johnny's Seeds.

1/4 pound seems to be the smallest amount they sell.
Reply to
The Cook

What do _you_ mean by "microgreens". As far as I can determine, microgreens are a resurgent fad among foodies. I first saw them used in the Oz version of "Masterchef". Some sources claim them to be "specially bred" miniatures while others freely admit "microgreens" to be seedlings with their first couple of true leaves. Regardless of which, they sell at inflated prices to the gullible. True believers claim enhanced nutritional properties; cynics wish the idea had been theirs. Here is a link to a brief item published by USA's propaganda ministry: In it, you'll notice that at least 7 days' growth magically transforms "sprouts" into "microgreens". Some seedsmen actually sell "microgreens" seeds. Here is one example. Prices are typical:

Reply to
Derald

Nothing, nothing at all.

David Hare-Scott

Oh; I know exactly what you mean....

Reply to
Derald

LOL. I'm pleased to see that you aren't following the latest fad :-))

Microgreens are the latest best thing and are EVERYWHERE at the moment. Just look around the counter area of your local nursery next time you are in there and you'll see them. You will also have been given a packet if you buy both of the local major gardenign mag as they've been the 'free' feature pack on the front of one or the other within the last couple of months.

Basically cast your midn back to the 70s when it was all about sprouts in jars festering on or under sinks in old jam jars.

Microgreens are the modern day equivalent but rather than using the old rinse twice daily method they now say to put them in a seed raising tray in seedling mix and cut when they get their first set of true leaves.

The 'greens' part of the name is a mesclun mix in effect.

Reply to
Farm1

And then there are another group who, like me, would think that of those two groups, one lot is silly and the other lot is greedy.

And here is an Oz supplier (and one that I use often as I like their seeds and range):

Farm1

LOL. Now we've sorted that out, I must get out into my veggie garden and do a bit of a burnoff.

I have approval from the properly recognised Fire Authority to do some controlled burning between the 6th and the 13th but first I had to inform all neighours and have my name put on the data base.

Living in Oz with it's bushfires (wildfires in USian) is a PITA. Smoke can be seen from such a long distance away and now that every every moron has a mobile phone they simply MUST do their duty to report a fire. It's a shame that common sense is so frigging uncommon these days and they never either really look or think before they call. There are so many volunteer firefighters who are jsut itching to cut fences and drive across paddocks in a big fire truck. Just ask our neighbour's across the road how they know that..............

Reply to
Farm1

Well, I clearly belong in that third group, too, although I must confess to leaning toward "greedy cynic". I have no compunction about taking advantage of another's self-induced silliness. After all, I made a fair portion of my living in the movie business, for goodness' sake!

Reply to
Derald

Seems pointless to me.

David Hare-Scott

Me too to a great extent. I guess if all I had in terms of space in which to grow anything, was a tiny balcony, I might think differently.

I'd rather just grow loose leaf lettuces and other quick growers like rocket and mustard green and perennials like sorrel and the dear old Silver beet - love tiny silver beet leaves in a tomatoey salad with crispy bacon bits. Love rocket too. It's near dinner so I'm beginnign to lust after food.

BTW, I hope you get the result you want out of today's election. We voted last week as we are Silent Electors. I just wish there had been a box for "A pox on all their Houses".

Reply to
Farm1

Different career choices might result in our differning approaches. I spent nearly 30 years in 'Public Service' during the time when it was still considered to be working for the whole of the coutnry as opposed to the current government of the day. Sadly that has now changed and getting worse with each succeeding government who are busy politicising the Public Service.

After all, I made

:-)) You'd hate me for the contribution I've made to the movie world's coffers. I have seen all of perhaps 4-5 movies in a movie theatre or some other place where these things are traditionally seen in probably 25 years. We also have very few DVDs of movies - perhaps 4 or 5.

When I last convinced my SO to go to see a film with me (probably 16 years ago) he was horrified that there was only one movie shown instead of the 2 movies that had been the standard the previous time he'd seen a movie (probably 30+ years ago)

Reply to
Farm1

I think sprouts are an inexpensive and reliable supplemental winter food crop that lets me cut out buying some of the imports.

Reply to
phorbin

Perhaps. As I type this, I'm hearing an item on the local radio about an enterprise that rents chickens. See? I'm not the only one....

The politicisation of the entire public sector is equally rampant in USA, too. Political and social philosophies seem to have become absolutist religions.

Have no fear; I haven't watched a movie in a theater since 1984; such a traitor. ;-) I never was a film fannie, although many of my coworkers certainly were, and now I get distracted by the process -- the result, I suppose, of being one of the people "behind the curtain".

I'm with him. Back in the day, my movie buff pals would go, as a group, to a shopping mall multiplex on dollar day. The joke was that after the movie, they had to go by the bar ("pub" but not really) and collect Derald. I'll take a couple of hours with12Y/O single malt and amber beer over a movie every time. The downside, of course, was listening to their analyses and criticisms as they vainly tried to catch up with me....

Reply to
Derald

I often have wished for the ability to vote _against_ candidates or, at the very least, a "none of the above" choice.

Reply to
Derald

Fran and I are in that position, I don't want to pollute the NG with party politics but let us say things are not going well if you care anything about the environment or the future for your grandchildren.

My SIL tries to justify casting an informal vote by saying that all the candidates are so bad he couldn't vote for any of them. My response is that is the time when you must vote. If all the candidates were good it doesn't really matter too much if the second best gets in as things will plod along anyway. When they are all bad you must ensure that the worst doesn't get in as they might do some real damage.

The first thing our new Prime Minister will do will be to neuter any action on climate change. And that is quite enough politics.

David Hare-Scott

David Hare-Scott wrote: ...

if you wait for the politicians in any country at this point you are wasting time and probably just looking for yet another reason to procrastinate.

do what you can locally, find others to work with who aren't obstructionists and pool resources and efforts.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

What a dopy argument. The amount that the individual can do alone is completely trivial. Millions of people together can do something but before you have that organised the pollies who opposed it would be out of office anyway and the job is already done. A grass-roots movement might force action on a government but the effect they can have instead of government action is quite insufficient. If you want to deal with climate change then elect a government that will do it.

By all means, one has to lead by example if trying to bring about change but don't fantasise that it will have any effect compared with (say) my local port that exports hundreds of millions of tons of coal per year.

David Hare-Scott