Source of microgreens seeds?

Page 1 of 2
I've been looking at seed catalogues and seed packets on sale locally in grocery stores, etc., and have seen that prices are much too high to grow ones own microgreens based on the price for the small seed packets.
Does anyone know of a source in _CANADA_ (or at the very least USA) of mixed microgreen salad green seeds sold in bulk - i.e., priced per lb or kg), by any chance?
I'd also prefer organic seeds, too.
Thanks so much in advance!
S.Rodgers wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "microgreens"?
David Hare-Scott wrote: ...

sprouts?
songbird

Well, yes, I suppose sprouts can be classified as microgreens, but sprouts are easy to buy. Things like lentils, wheatgrass, sunflower seeds, all can be bought in bulk.
Mesclun, cannot. And the seeds are ridiculously expensive since if you let the plants grow to maturity, then, fine. You'd not be paying any more than any regular seed. But like sprouts, microgreens such as baby spinach, mesclun, baby lettuces, a little packet of seeds won't grow much and so it makes them way more expensive than if you're buying to grow plants to full term.
S.Rodgers wrote:

And why would eat them so small and not let them grow? Is this a new form of conspicuous consumption?

    What do _you_ mean by "microgreens". As far as I can determine, microgreens are a resurgent fad among foodies. I first saw them used in the Oz version of "Masterchef". Some sources claim them to be "specially bred" miniatures while others freely admit "microgreens" to be seedlings with their first couple of true leaves. Regardless of which, they sell at inflated prices to the gullible. True believers claim enhanced nutritional properties; cynics wish the idea had been theirs.     Here is a link to a brief item published by USA's propaganda ministry: <http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/08/29/160274163/introducing-microgreens-younger-and-maybe-more-nutritious-vegetables In it, you'll notice that at least 7 days' growth magically transforms "sprouts" into "microgreens".     Some seedsmen actually sell "microgreens" seeds. Here is one example. Prices are typical: <http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-48-micro-greens.aspx
--
Derald
USDA 9a
Derald wrote:

Nothing, nothing at all.

    Oh; I know exactly what you mean....
--
Derald

LOL. Now we've sorted that out, I must get out into my veggie garden and do a bit of a burnoff.
I have approval from the properly recognised Fire Authority to do some controlled burning between the 6th and the 13th but first I had to inform all neighours and have my name put on the data base.
Living in Oz with it's bushfires (wildfires in USian) is a PITA. Smoke can be seen from such a long distance away and now that every every moron has a mobile phone they simply MUST do their duty to report a fire. It's a shame that common sense is so frigging uncommon these days and they never either really look or think before they call. There are so many volunteer firefighters who are jsut itching to cut fences and drive across paddocks in a big fire truck. Just ask our neighbour's across the road how they know that..............

And then there are another group who, like me, would think that of those two groups, one lot is silly and the other lot is greedy.

And here is an Oz supplier (and one that I use often as I like their seeds and range): http://greenharvest.com.au/SproutingAndMicrogreens/MicrogreensGrowingInformation.html

    Well, I clearly belong in that third group, too, although I must confess to leaning toward "greedy cynic". I have no compunction about taking advantage of another's self-induced silliness. After all, I made a fair portion of my living in the movie business, for goodness' sake!
--
Derald
USDA 9a

Different career choices might result in our differning approaches. I spent nearly 30 years in 'Public Service' during the time when it was still considered to be working for the whole of the coutnry as opposed to the current government of the day. Sadly that has now changed and getting worse with each succeeding government who are busy politicising the Public Service.
After all, I made

:-)) You'd hate me for the contribution I've made to the movie world's coffers. I have seen all of perhaps 4-5 movies in a movie theatre or some other place where these things are traditionally seen in probably 25 years. We also have very few DVDs of movies - perhaps 4 or 5.
When I last convinced my SO to go to see a film with me (probably 16 years ago) he was horrified that there was only one movie shown instead of the 2 movies that had been the standard the previous time he'd seen a movie (probably 30+ years ago)

    Perhaps. As I type this, I'm hearing an item on the local radio about an enterprise that rents chickens. See? I'm not the only one....

    The politicisation of the entire public sector is equally rampant in USA, too. Political and social philosophies seem to have become absolutist religions.

    Have no fear; I haven't watched a movie in a theater since 1984; such a traitor. ;-) I never was a film fannie, although many of my coworkers certainly were, and now I get distracted by the process -- the result, I suppose, of being one of the people "behind the curtain".

    I'm with him. Back in the day, my movie buff pals would go, as a group, to a shopping mall multiplex on dollar day. The joke was that after the movie, they had to go by the bar ("pub" but not really) and collect Derald. I'll take a couple of hours with12Y/O single malt and amber beer over a movie every time. The downside, of course, was listening to their analyses and criticisms as they vainly tried to catch up with me....
--
Derald
USDA 9a

Thanks for that link. I'm seeing that no matter what, prices are still exhorbitant. Better when one can buy buy the gram rather than seed packet, but still very pricey.
I was even hoping there would be a way to find a grass-roots source where perhaps I could barter for seeds or ... something. Unfortunately, it always comes down the same thing. 20 years ago I couldn't get involved with a heritage seed exchange program because I was living then in an apartment (actually, it was smaller than my present bachelor apartment!) so I couldn't participate in exchanging heirloom seeds.
Well, will keep looking around. I'm betting that instead of ordering online, I'll have to find a local farm solution or something. <sigh> Will have to figure this one out.
Thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@nothing.com says...

If you've the time, energy and will, and there is such a thing in your area, what about taking a public allotment garden?

Thanks for that suggestion. There aren't any near me whatsoever, and one that is far costs too much.
But back to my original question, anyone have any ideas re seeds. I've been looking and even were I to grow a garden, the cost of those little packets is too steep.
Hoping someone knew of a cost effective solutions for this. thx. Heck, it's worth a try to ask the question one last time.
On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:09:06 -0400, S.Rodgers

Got it! Thanks, Rick, for suggesting the place that has mesclun: http://www.theonlinegreenhouse.com/mesclun--a-mix-of-salad-greens.html
I'm in favour of a mix rather than having to buy of each kind and that price seems the most reasonable so far.
Will see what they say about organic seeds, too.
Cheers and thanks everyone, once again.

Microgreens are just a way for us apartment dwellers to have salad greens all year around. That's the idea, anyway. I already grow sunflower seeds, pea shoots and wheatgrass in flats in my tiny bachelor apartment, but I'd like to expand to grow salad greens but only as microgreens and not as full plants. I just don't have the room or the time for that. My favourite microgreen is mesclun mix which sells locally in grocery stores and health food store as more expensive than greens since they're much more tender and the growers have to use a lot more seed to get yields.

LOL. I'm pleased to see that you aren't following the latest fad :-))
Microgreens are the latest best thing and are EVERYWHERE at the moment. Just look around the counter area of your local nursery next time you are in there and you'll see them. You will also have been given a packet if you buy both of the local major gardenign mag as they've been the 'free' feature pack on the front of one or the other within the last couple of months.
Basically cast your midn back to the 70s when it was all about sprouts in jars festering on or under sinks in old jam jars.
Microgreens are the modern day equivalent but rather than using the old rinse twice daily method they now say to put them in a seed raising tray in seedling mix and cut when they get their first set of true leaves.
The 'greens' part of the name is a mesclun mix in effect.
Farm1 wrote:

Seems pointless to me.