source for shallots

"Unless you are a gardener, shallots are more commonly known as onions. Used in the same way, and having the same taste......"
That's an actual quote from a website, gardenzone.info, and I don't think I really agree.
Now I've been experimenting with alternatives to Onions, mostly because my wife hates the smell. I tried leeks, then some purple shallots from the local grocery. What I found was that she hates the smell of all of them, so we are having a vented hood installed over the stove.
Anyway, I love cooking with onions, but now I think I may prefer the flavor of shallots. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a bulk source? I'm thinking of planting a roughly 4' by 10' area with them. Thanks!

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/c-46-shallots.aspx
or
http://www.southernexposure.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc ?

The Johnny's catalog arrived a couple of days ago. My husband was looking through it and said he never knew there were so many kinds of greens. Of course the only lettuce he will eat is iceberg.
I have bought a number of things from Johnny's and have been very satisfied.
Check your local nurseries or farm stores for shallots.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Good luck with that. I had my first try at growing shallots this past winter alongside garlic. I pulled up a great crop a few weeks ago which are currently drying. I think I will enjoy cooking with the small ones through autumn and winter and enjoy planting the bigger ones out for another good crop next summer.
rob

What is the difference between shallots and onion sets? MJ
The shallots you bought at the grocery will probably work fine. The yellow ones are probably "Dutch" shallots wich are some of the largest and will last a very long time in storage. In Ohio I plant them in the fall with garlic though you might do OK planting in the spring. They don't like weeds but otherwise have few problems. As far as tasting like onions or tasting like garlic...they taste like shallots. I've grown them from seed before too. They are available from some seed catalogs. Those I planted in the spring.