something's eating my Basil!

Does anyone know what may be eating my basil plants? I planted one out few weeks back in my herb container & something ate holes in all th leaves so i pulled it up & planted another. I've just noticed hole appearing again & no sign of a culprit. None of my other herbs hav been touched. I didn't have this problem last year so why now & wh only the basil - calli ----------------------------------------------------------------------- posted via www.GardenBanter.co.uk
On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:53:44 GMT, callie

I have a stinking chipmunk who likes basil & parsley. Later there will be plenty for both of us, but now he's pulling up seedlings and nibbling all the leaves.
Slugs when its wet & flea-hoppers when hot & dry are my other basil pest.
Jim

I have a real problem with earwigs chewing my Basil. Take a flashlight out around mid-night and you'll see them climbing all around the Basil. A hand-vac sucks em up...otherwise, it's Rotenone/Pyrethreim spray.
Regards, Bill
Bill Litchfield said:

If the earwigs are out, a direct hit with soapy water is all you need to slay them. Spraying their refuges (cracks and crevices, wood chips, and the like) with soapy water will cause them to boil out and die, too.

I'm having this problem too, but it's only my beans and nothing else in the garden. I put a powdered insecticide, "Sevin" on them, but it hasn't kept whatever it is from munching on my bean's leaves.
Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Brigitte