Solarizing the soil

I am attempting to solarizing the soil in one of my garden plots because last year all my tomatoes had nematodes. I am using the instructions in the "Sunset Western Garden Problem Solver" except that I am using 6 mil plastic because that is what my brother bought.

I put the remote probe from a digital thermometer on the soil surface in the middle of the 4 foot by 20 foot bed and so far the highest temperature I have gotten was 112 degrees F. Is that hot enough to kill nematodes? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

I don't solarize until the summer and I"m in the central valley of CA. Our temps frequently go over 100.

Planting marigolds help with nematodes around tomatoes. And don't forget to rotate your crops.

HTH Nicole BTW, 112 is not high enuf to solarize

Reply to
Nicole H

Articles

site imo

Nicole H

How hot does the soil need to get to kill most of the tomato nematodes?

Reply to
Daniel Prince

I don't know if solarizing kills nematodes. You can always call your local cooperative extension and they can answer all your questions. I know planting marigold flowers around tomatoes help w/nematodes Nicole

Reply to
Nicole H