soil replacement

Hi,

I have a rosemary plant that I have brought in that needs transplanted into a larger pot. At the same time, I want to replace the soil. How do I replace the soil around the roots without killing the plant?

Thanx, Ed Stuart

Reply to
Ed Stuart

Very carefully... and even then it's risky to do that to any woody perrenial. ;-)

If I feel it needs to be done, I cross my fingers and gently shake the soil from the root system and if I want to remove even more, I'll rinse it under a gentle stream of water. You want to do as little root damage as possible.

Personally, I don't bother with soil replacement unless I feel the soil has too much mineral or nitrogen buildup and has become toxic. I generally just loosen the root ball a bit to ease the roots transition into the new soil.

Good luck!

K.

Reply to
Katra