So far this year

DH has finished replacing 4 of the 5 old planter boxes. The last one will have to wait until the garlic and onions come out. The new boxes are one plank higher than the old ones. A little easier to work sitting on one of my rolling seats. Will take a picture when the sun comes out. I moved my perennial herbs to the first box and have spinach and a few romaine lettuce plants in the second one. Put a few basil plants in 4th one. The rest of my annual herbs will complete that box. Maybe I will plant some beans in the 2nd box when the spinach and lettuce start to bolt.

As far as tomatoes go I have 24 Viva Italias and will put in 4 each of Better Boy and Carmello. I also have 5 different colors of cherry tomatoes. Red, yellow, green, black and white. They will get planted in a few days. I am leaving them out or leaving the greenhouse door open now. I got a late start with them but it doesn't seem to make much difference when they start producing fruit.

Right now we are harvesting spinach, rhubarb and asparagus. The fruit trees have bloomed and it looks like we will get good crops.

Reply to
The Cook

i can imagine in the future that there will be a time when i garden by crawling. congrats to DH for replacing those boxes. he gets to enjoy the fruits of his labors indirectly.

:) you used the magic word (beans :) ). are those the cannelini beans?

do you find that you grow some herbs you don't even use? we have several different ones that are mostly there for bee food it seems. mints, thymes, oreganoes, chives and some we don't even know what they are any longer because they were planted so long ago the bees swarm them so heavily when they do bloom i don't want to take all of them out. in turning some more spaces back into vegetable gardens i'm still trying to leave some wilder or flowering spaces nearby to keep a resevoir of bee food and beneficial bugs handy.

i hope things go well for all of those. in the realms of quantity it is roots and leaves, in the realm of when is determined by plant species. i've had plants flower that are about as tiny as you can imagine. two leaves past seedling stage, few mm leaves, one small white flower (or blue -- both of these are pesky once they get going)... right now i'm trying to head off both of these in different areas of the gardens, mulch or pathways as they are so invasive and the seeds are so tiny.

the rhubarb here is just now poking up leaves. not many trees are budded out yet -- some are pollinating, i'm sneezing when the wind shifts from the north where the maple trees live.

good luck with all of the gardens and trees. :)

just saw a letter in the local paper from a person i know talking about how someone came and girdled several of their trees including fruit and nut trees. that's pretty viscious...

songbird

Reply to
songbird