snails versus beer? How does this work?

someone here (and another acquaintance) mentioned some trick involving beer to rid one's tomatores of snails. how does it work? something bout putting out beer in a way so they can get in (maybe into the can of beer) but not out?
thanks in advance
Daniel Glazer wrote:

The beer attracts slugs and snails. You're supposed to put it in a low edged container and the buggers crawl into the beer and drown. It works but it's messy and fairly labour intensive and is only good for a limited area. I've had more success with simply mulching around the tomatoes.
..
Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:40:00 -0230, cloud dreamer

The yeast in the beer attracts the snails and slugs.
Supposedly putting yeast in water will draw them as well, but I've never tried it.
Penelope
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:33:49 GMT, "Daniel Glazer"

Put in the beer in a paper cup or bowl, or leave it in the can. The snails and slugs drown in the beer.
Penelope
Daniel Glazer wrote:

First you eat the snails, then chase them with a beer. The order is important; if you drink the beer first the snails are just disgusting and you don't have anything to wash them down. HTH :-)
Bob

important; if you drink the beer first the snails are just disgusting
wait, shouldn't be drink the beer first and enuf so that NOTHING is disgusting?
Daniel Glazer First you eat the snails, then chase them with a beer.
The order is important; if you drink the beer first the snails are just disgusting
wait, shouldn't be drink the beer first and enuf so that NOTHING is disgusting?
i wonder if the gravel that u buy at the pet shops could be used t keep snails away. after all they dont like that kind of stuff. good luck sockiescat
-- sockiescat

Just pour it in a pan/plastic barque (or whatever) with the brim of the afore mentioned pan/plastic barque (or whatever) at ground level. It works after a fashion but as already mentioned by someone else, it only works in a limited area and is gawd awful messyto clean-up. Change the beer every few days as the marinade fills with critters. (Seems like a waste of beer to me.) If chickens and ducks are not an option, then your best results will probably be with fine mulch and night-time patrols. I'm in Northern California and as the ground dries out, and I cull the raging herd of slugs and snails from my garden, I need to go out fewer and fewer nights. Nothin' like some good hops, to send me off to sleep.