Small space gardening

Grabbed this link from another group I read , thought it might be of interest to some here . http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/Square-Foot-Gardening-Food.aspx
--
Snag
Learning keeps

My copy of "Square Foot Gardening" has a copyright of 1981 with no earlier copyrights listed. It is about the 5th printing.
The book has some good ideas for using boxes, but we usually plant in larger quantities.
I have a book about companion planting that was almost worthless to me. The suggestions for the paired plantings never matched in growing times. Sorta like the things that people in California talk about buying fresh or picking at the same time I cannot harvest at the same time.
Guess we have to take some of the ideas and adapt them to our climates and garden sizes.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Good gardening references cite planting dates relative to the average "last spring frost" or "first fall frost". That data is readily available for everywhere in the USA (and I expect other parts of the world as well), and allows the gardener to custom-time their planting.
Of course, year to year, that date will vary (unless you're close to the equator <g>). I got totally screwed by an extended frost season one year early in my gardening experience - killed nearly everything I'd planted out the first time, then about two weeks later, got most of what I'd re-planted.
Greenhouse, cold frame, heat mats, and cloches. All wonderful developments.

Sorry, I must have glossed over the _mailing_ date stuff. Certainly, non-seed plant material is a lot more fixed with respect to its availability, and is generally going to revolve around the climate where the seedsman is (or, alternately, where most of their market is, quite probably including where they obtain their material from).

Heh, it's like stores selling swim outfits in the middle of winter when you're out looking for a good raincoat.

Well, it's something like there remains only a 10% chance of a frost beyond that date.

I'm north of San Francisco myself, and we've had an unseasonably high amount of frost and freeze this season, where we might only get a week or two (scattered out) of frosty nights any other year (though, last year we had the "spring that wasn't" - first reasonably warm day was the first day of summer). Such unexpected shifts in weather are why greenhouses, etc are so useful. Artificially creating COOL weather though isn't so easy (at least, not on a home garden scale).

I also hadn't picked up that this thread was specifc to one zone.
Overheating in greenhousea and cold frames is overcome through use of automatic vents and/or thermostatically controlled vent fans. Cloches and frost-protecting row cover are are a manual effort - useful to be put out when there's an unexpected frost. One of these days, I'll get prepared enough to fab some bracketing to make it easier to roll out frost cover by myself when needed.
I fortunately don't have the "small space" constraint - my garden isn't huge by many standards, but it does exceed the footprint of my house.