Small scale threshing

The Mother Earth archives haven't been much help; I gather I should flail my spelt seed heads on a hard surface with something like a plastic baseball bat. Has somebody actually done this?

I have a big paper shopping bag full of seed heads, and I'm eyeing the garage floor after removing the almost dried garlic and doing a bit of cleaning. The Saturn is already complaining bitterly about having to live outdoors.

Peace,

Gary