small green worms on my brussel sprouts

Pardon if this has been asked before but I'm a newbie (both to vegetable gardening and this newsgroup). I planted brussel sprouts for the first time in my Massachusetts garden this year. The seedlings I started inside didn't transplant well nor did many of the seeds I sowed directly take hold in the garden. I only have about three plants growing. And now the leaves are covered with holes and I'm finding inch-long smooth green worms on them. They don't seem to be on any of my other vegetables or herbs. I try not to use any pesticides on my small garden but I'd like to have my kids see at least one impressive brussel sprout stalk grow to maturity...any suggestions for non-chemical/pesticide deterrents for these pests? Also advice on getting brussel sprouts to grow in the first place
Thanks -Holly
Sounds like cabbage loopers to me... they tore up my broccoli this year. They were my "sacrificial" plants, and the rest of the garden did fine. Organic Gardening has this write up on possible solutions http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-2-9-266,00.html
heres another link that may be of some help http://www.ghorganics.com/page14.html
good luck tim

time
didn't
the
suggestions
Tim Morton wrote:

Just as likely it could be imported cabbage worms. It doesn't matter, the treatment is the same. BT works wonders. I have much better results with a form that you mix with water and spray on. (I use Dipel.) In the mean time, pick off all that you can find because they can destroy the entire plant if left alone. http://ceenet.msue.msu.edu/ipm/CAT03_veg/V06-11-03.cabbageworms.htm
Steve

vegetable
time
didn't