Slugs and lettuce, some questions.

After buying a home last year, I started planting vegetables something I enjoyed doing in the past. Unfortunately, slugs have been having a wonderful time with my black seeded simpson lettuce. I've tried chemicals (Bug Getta) but the slugs still seem to attack them. Last year, they attacked my bean's leaves until I planted marigolds which for some reason, kept the slugs away.
Any suggestions as to how I can keep the slugs away from the lettuce? More importantlly, Is it safe to eat the lettuce leaves that have holes in them thanks to the slugs?
Thanks,
Jose
<snip>

Formerly had HUGE slugs in seattle area... there is a powder you can sprinkle on the ground that keeps them away
J Golden wrote:

Hi Jose, I was tempted to ask why you were using an insecticide to try to kill slugs. It's a good thing I looked it up. I was surprised to find that a product called Bug Getta was really a slug and snail killer and not for "bugs". As far as eating the lettuce, sure, you can eat it with the holes in it if you can keep your mind from thinking about it too much. :-) I would be more concerned about eating it after applying the bug getta product. Is that product labeled for use on food crops? I find that the active ingredient is metaldehyde. That is fairly toxic stuff. If it is labeled for use on lettuce etc, I assume it says to put it near the plants and not on them? There's another product called "Sluggo". I have never used it but I'm told it is quite effective. That product uses iron phosphate to kill slugs. That should be much less toxic. I don't know if it is labeled for application right on food plants but it might be. If you find the product, read the label and see what it says about that.
Steve
use sluggo, also known as escargo. It is organic and very effective.
simy1 wrote:

In case you're in the UK where I can't find sluggo or escargo, I found iron phosphate based slug pellets called "Advanced Slug Killer" from growing success. I wouldn't get their standard slug killer as it has aluminium sulphate which is linked with Alzheimers.
It doesn't seem as effective as the reports of sluggo I've heard on the newsgroup, but it's helping, and to be fair, I've got the worst slug problem in the world due to a neighbour who doesn't bother looking after their garden...
Andy wrote:

Hey, if some of my slugs develop Alzheimers, well that's a chance I'm willing to take. ;-)
Steve
I've been trying coffee grounds. Turns out caffeine is toxic to slugs and they avoid it like the plague. I've had the best luck with new grounds, not used and I buy the cheap stuff when it's on sale just for the garden. Cheaper than poisons. It's the only way I can get a ripe strawberry or any greens in my damp BC garden. Trouble is you have to reapply after rain or heavy watering.
Also, a ring of eggshells works. They can't cross them. Or a raised bed with a copper band. The copper creates a an electrical charge when they try to cross. Note: With these barrier methods, make sure you are not trapping slugs inside the barrier. LOL
Or try a midnight run. One night I came out with a flashlight and some rubber gloves. Discovered a slug/snail highway from a nearby flowerbed to my garden bed. Picked up more than 75 in less than 10 minutes. Gave up counting after that.
Good Luck LJ_in_BC

Yes, This is my first reply by the way!
I do know several ways;
Slug pellets, like my fellow Brit said! - %100 efficient (Personally dont use)
Planting garlic nearby - %75 efficient (Never failed me)
Putting a rough surface around the plants, rough gritty bricks, broke glass etc - %100 efficient (Never Failed me)
Netting - %100,000,000 effective!
I actually use all of these bar the pellets, i NEVER have slug attacks
-- ACartwright
Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions,
I'm in the US. I use Bug Geta near the plants but not directly on or around the plants. Surprisingly it isn't working too well this year. They seemed to have changed it though. Instead of the "grit" of last year, it is now "pellets" and the slugs don't seem to care about the pellets as much.
Last year I planted marigolds and that seemed to work.
Jose
J Golden wrote:

Since I brew my own beer I have some leftover from every batch when I bottle. Shallow pan with some in it, slugs die happy... If you partake save a bit from every portion. Otherwise buy a quart of the cheapest beer you can.

Yes, after you wash the slime off...
John!
My friend had slug problems and I told her about the tray with bee
poured in it. She said it is working great!! They just climb in an drown in the beer. The lettuce is fine to eat with the holes in it. I wash my lettuce a least 3 times to get the grass and bugs out if it.
J Golden Wrote:

-- Maryc
Thanks,
I had the lettuce this weekend, washed THREE times to get rid of the dirt, the slime, and the ants and it was delicious. I planted tomato plants near the lettuce and surrounded the vegetable bed with marigolds. Last year, for some reason, the marigolds attracted the insects and the slugs hated them and kept away. Hopefully, this year will be the same.
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:34:49 +0000, Maryc