Slugs

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone have any good ways to deter slugs? Preferably without using slug pellets.... My strawberries are looking really good and healthy but I have noticed quite a few leaves are being eaten and there are slug trails on them
--
Bennewby

Bennewby wrote:

Small saucers of beer. Quart-size jar lids work well .
--
Snag
Learning keeps
On 5/29/2011 11:52 AM, Snag wrote:

crawl under and remove them from there.

Try some fresh ground coffee (not coffee grounds). The caffeine gives them fits.

Crush up some eggshells and sprinkle them around the plants.
Also try gently pulling apart steel wool pads and placing them on the ground around the plants. --S.
On Sun, 29 May 2011 15:17:36 -0600, "Suzanne"

The traditional remedy is ground razor blades not eggshell as eggshell will raise the pH of your soil. For those who don't shave try broken glass.

Slugs laugh at wool of all kinds.
Push toothpicks into the soil about halfway with the pointy end up. These micro punji sticks will clean your fingernails as you pick the berries too. Don't lean down to smell the flowers though.

Not the ones that tried to crawl over my steel wool and got shredded up before my eyes. --S.

I heard you can surround your garden with sand and pick the ones out In the middle. Then no more will go in. Cuz it cuts their little fat bellies.

Saucers of stale beer or Marmite in water or other yeast in water mixes.

Thats what I should do with my god forsaken Marmite. And Vegymite.
Give it to the slugs.
Thanks

If you lack the gene for it Vegemite will never be food, if you have it then it is the first thing after mother's milk.

And who decided toast and Marmite should be a national dish. Its an insult.

It's just a matter of having a privileged upbringing as opposed to being deprived by not having access to yeast spreads.

Indeed. But I suspect we might be laughing at different things.

Bennewby;924555 Wrote: > Does anyone have any good ways to deter slugs? Preferably without using > slug pellets.... My strawberries are looking really good and healthy but > I have noticed quite a few leaves are being eaten and there are slug > trails on them
My dad used to use those little plastic tubs you get Chinese food in, sink them flush to the soil near his veggies and fill em with cheap beer combined with hand picking them from all over the garden at night.
--
godkingross

Dint realise i could upload pics:
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: 100_0765.jpg | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 136| |Filename: 100_0766.jpg | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 137| |Filename: 100_0767.jpg | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 138| |Filename: 100_0768.jpg | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 139| |Filename: 100_0769.jpg | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 140| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
godkingross

If slugs are a huge problem, you need to remove their habitat by raking up your mulch in spring and composting it. Then, start your garden in open soil, and wait until early summer to add a fresh blanket of mulch. You still may have problems because your soil may be well stocked with slug eggs. A few years ago, a U.S. Department of Agriculture scientist found that crabgrass contains a substance toxic to slugs. Since then, many backyard slug slayers have experimented with crabgrass cookies, which are made by mixing chopped, dried crabgrass leaves with corn bran, cornstarch and beer. The baits are then placed beneath plants, where the slugs eat them and die.
Another option is spraying coffee on plants that are plagued with slugs. Caffeine in any form including a few No-Doz tablets mixed with water is a slug neurotoxin that will kill these unwanted pests.
When youre down to only a few slugs, you can fall back on the traditional organic control, which is to trap them with beer. Put an inch or so of any beer in a cup, bury it in the garden nearly to the rim, and collect your drowned slugs in the morning. Or, put some beer in plastic drink bottles and lay them on their sides in the garden. The slugs will crawl in and drown. Dump them out and start over again every few days.
--
Or if you are tired of night patrol, see:
<http://www.ecoact.org/PDF/ipm_factsheets/SnailSlg.101.pdf

As I understand it, it's not drowning, it's the yeast. I'd always thought that the yeast acts as a poison for slugs and snails so you dont' need huge amounts of it. The dregs from the bottom of a bottle of beer that has been drunk is enough. I've never used a lot of beer and still the snails have died (and not whilst in the the liquid, but near it). Now you've got me wondering about what it is about the beer and yeast spreads that works.