Size Of Apples

I have peach trees and was told to remove peaches until you have only

1 every so often > We have an apple tree of the variety 'Winston Churchill' =A0It produces
Reply to
wew1962

You should find out how big the apples are supposed to be. Have the soil in the area around the tree tested and add whatever nutrients are needed.

Reply to
The Cook

We have an apple tree of the variety 'Winston Churchill' It produces very sweet, tasty apples but the are small (maximum 2 inches in diameter). The tree is about 40 years old. Is there anything that can be done to increase the size of the apples?

Thanks

Mike Shields

Reply to
Michael Shields

Reply to
brett2008citw

I would agree with checking the soil around the area. The tree may also be just getting old and thats one of the affects, my Aunt has also experienced this problem but still has no answer to the problem. hmm.....

I would agree with checking the soil around the area. The tree may also be just getting old and thats one of the affects, my Aunt has also experienced this problem but still has no answer to the problem. hmm.....

Reply to
DsGirl_89

I would agree with checking the soil around the area. The tree may also be just getting old and thats one of the affects, my Aunt has also experienced this problem but still has no answer to the problem. hmm.....

Reply to
DsGirl_89

Try thinning the fruit when they first setas in the peach trees response above this will get the Apple tree to concentrate on producing those ones left with more nutrients you should try to pick off and leave around 2-3 per truss.

Do you also regulary prune the tree in the Fall/Autumn months?? this could be having an effect.

If this still gives you problems try as sugested the soil test. although i think this is a prunning issue or to many fruits for the tree to support

Hope this helps

Reply to
andrewhallas

I have 2 apple trees also and they don't produce very good apples either. I would also like some tips to make the apples grow bigger and better.

Reply to
mhawkins03

I have 2 apple trees and neither on of them produce good apples. I was also wondering how the apples could get bigger and better. Mike Hawkins

Reply to
mhawkins03

Are you thinning the fruit? When they are about marble-sized, remove most of the fruit, leaving only one every 6" or so. You will take off many many more than you leave, it feels like infanticide, and it is very boring. But the fruit that is left should get bigger, unless it is just the nature of the tree to bear small fruit.

Reply to
tuckermor

Good Post

reg1010

Reply to
reg1010

Hello Mike

The variety Winston was introduced in1944 but existed before that date as

Winter King. The apples are small but quite pleasant eating during December to early April. It was never registered as Winston Churchill. The colour of a ripe apple should be red over yellow.

Best wishes

Gerald.

Reply to
GardenGerald

Yes, apples will be larger if they are thinned out at an early time, say when they are the size of a dime. If in a cluster, remove all except the largest and cleanest one.

Sherwin

Reply to
sherwin dubren