Six-Pack's Tag said Early Girl, Fruit is Cherry Tomatoes........

When is a cherry tomato not a cherry tomato???
Bought a few Early Girl Tomato plants at the local hardware store, put five of 'em in pots, one in the ground. Plants are doing very well, lots of fruit set. Some of the tomatoes are turning red, but they are the size of larger cherry tomatoes.
I was expecting early girl tomatoes, but two people who have seen my plants, say they are cherry tomatoes, not early girl, while one other person suggested that having the plants in pots, has stunted the size of the fruit, which actually are early girls.
By the way, the plant which is in the ground, is doing the same thing....cherry tomato-sized fruit beginning to turn red.
Anyone else experience this? I'd like to hear your opinions, fer sure! Are they cherry tomatoes, or are they early girls??
Sincerely,
Richard Shelter

Plant mix ups are not uncommon--cherry tomatoes have somewhat thinner stems than large varieties--you likely were sold cherry plants by mistake.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Richard Shelter) wrote:

I have a terrible time keeping up with the varieties of vegetables that I start from seed unless I am very careful. I used to think "I will remember which one that is." Wrong. Think about a retail store with lots of people (including children) looking at plants and taking a marker out to read it all. How many get put in the wrong pots?
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
<< By the way, the plant which is in the ground, is doing the same thing....cherry tomato-sized fruit beginning to turn red. >>
I bet the tags were switched by the same kids who keep putting dishwashing soap in the fountain at the mall.
On 06 Jul 2003 03:15:30 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Jack1000) wrote:

but on the other hand, that can be good too.. that's how I found yellow pear tom's..... a tag mixup. now I plant them every year...
The tags I mean, not the dish-soap! :)
email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net please respond in this NG so others can share your wisdom as well!
On 13 Jul 2003 04:29:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Jack1000) wrote:

We also had a Yellow Pear last year, and it produced prodigiously - they were about the only tomatoes we got the whole season - which was otherwise a disastrous year for tomatoes here. Plus I had bought the plants, so they went in late and small. I don't need to do that any more, thank goodness.
Pat
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------7A46B652C167721EBC85CE3F Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Frogleg wrote:

About the "jellybean" plant, don't blame the grower, blame the seed producer. My garden group grew them this year from seed for our Spring Sale and I planted one in my own garden. The tomatoes on it are at least 1" in diameter if not bigger. I am really disappointed as the picture on the seed packet shows those little grape size tomatoes you see in the supermarket.
By the way does anyone know of a seed source that will reliably produce those little grape size tomatoes. Last year I tried another variety that was supposed to be that size, but it too became much larger.
Linda in SW Ohio --------------7A46B652C167721EBC85CE3F Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="linda.barsalou.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for Linda Barsalou Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="linda.barsalou.vcf"
begin:vcard n:Barsalou;Linda tel;work:Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio x-mozilla-html:FALSE adr:;;;;;; version:2.1 email;internet: snipped-for-privacy@wright.edu fn:Linda Barsalou end:vcard
--------------7A46B652C167721EBC85CE3F--
wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

Have you tried Red Robin and/or Yellow Canary? Micro-Tom is the world's smallest tomato.
Have a look at
http://www.tomatogrowers.com . -- Gardening Zones Canada Zone 5a United States Zone 3a Near Ottawa, Ontario
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:13:24 -0400, Jim Carter

Red Robin is a miniature PLANT, but the tomatoes are not all that unusually small. I'd say that most of them are typical cherry-sized. (I have lots of them growing in 6" pots in my bay window at present.)
IIRC, this is also true of Yellow Canary: miniature PLANT but cherry-sized tomatoes. I've not grown Yellow Canary for some years, but I believe my memory of this is correct.

I haven't grown Micro-Tom, so don't know about it.
Pat
rec.gardens.edible:

Everyone might be interested in
http://gardenwatchdog.com /
when wondering about suppliers. They allow you to add your own experiences, good or bad, about suppliers you have dealt with. -- Gardening Zones Canada Zone 5a United States Zone 3a Near Ottawa, Ontario
snipped-for-privacy@meadows.pair.com writes:

Yes, I have one this year. :-)
Will let you know how it is once they start getting ripe. If anything going on out there is an indication, it should bear as well as the Yellow Pear. However, time will tell.
Glenna