Shredded Paper in Compost Pile

I understand I can put my shredded paper (bills and that type stuff) in the compost pile, right? Any limitations on how much? My compost pile is newly started and I've not composted in far too many distant years past so wanted to double check.

Reply to
Goomba38

Treat it like any other "brown" component of your compost. I used to compost newsprint many years ago by putting it through a big shredder and then wetting it down and adding a "starter", usually animal manure. Don't use plastic or the windows on windo envelopes. Everything shredded in my office goes to the compost heap even today.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

I do it all the time.

Just one caution, paper is very, very carbon intense, so you should also add an extra dose nitrogen-rich material to compensate. Lots of fresh grass, for example, or some urea (or other high-N fertilizer).

I'd not make paper a main ingredient, but it's easy to keep on hand to add a bit at a time. For instance, after that really rainy week when the lawn had gotten away from you and you have an abundance of grass clippings...

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Thank you that gives me an idea of how to work with this resource. I'd hate to waste it if I could use and benefit from it. Now.. about teabags...?

Reply to
Goomba38

Teabags are fine - toss 'em right in.

Reply to
Usenet2007

And that's free of charge.

Reply to
Adam Funk

"Adam Funk" wrote

Shave your pubes and add some hair.

--oTTo--

GIF!

Reply to
Otto Bahn

It's too early in the morning for this for me, maybe after aperitifs, definitely after digestives.

I would worry about salts in the urea, especially if it is beer based. If you have wolf based dogs, dogs with an undercoat, they will be dumping a lot of hair right about now that can be sown/turned into the garden. Better known as slow release nitrogen. Until it warms up, all my hair is staying right where it is, thank you very much, and if anything, getting longer.

- Bill

Gustibus coloribus non disputatum (mostly:-)

Reply to
William Rose

Beer-based? If beer makes up the majority of your diet, you won't be able to get any gardening done.

And knitting sweaters (I've seen a book on this).

Reply to
Adam Funk

(That would be me. I'm sure of it)

(That would be Adam.)

(Am I good or what?)

(? That would be Adam again.)

Adam, my man. Did you get the cork out of your breakfast already? An' wat chew mean knitting sweaters? Dog hair sweaters? You crazy or what? Explain yourself boy.

- Bill

William Rose

And I'm saving dog hair from a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel to mix with Alpaca to spin into yarn.

Reply to
FarmI

Farm1, that's quite a handle your dog has. If you make a sweater from the yarn, will it come with a sack of ashes?

All kidding aside, I'm glad to see people unplugging from the consumer matrix. Do you spin and weave the hair yourself? What do dog hair shirts feel like or will this be for throw rugs? Are there specific breeds for weaving? (I presume that they should be long-hairs.)

Thanks for the heads-up,

William Rose

"Knitting With Dog Hair: Better A Sweater From A Dog You Know and Love Than From A Sheep You'll Never Meet" by Kendall Crolius

ISBN-10: 0312152906

Reply to
Adam Funk

Dog hair sweaters, when wet, smell like dog. Duh!

T.

Reply to
tbsamsel

Avoid slick paper and printed colors. Slick paper has a clay seal to make it slick and also makes it harder to compost. Color inks may contain lead. Changes have been made in what goes into color inks to make them safer for us and the environment.

I treat shredded paper the same as I treat oak leaves, cover them with chicken manure. Bird droppings of any kind are high nitrogen which aids in compost of things like paper, twigs, leaves. You may need to add some lime from time to time to balance the pile.

For those who own chickens that spend at least part of the day in a coop, try tossing the shredded paper/ leaves/ small twigs under the perch. This will act as a mat to absorb chicken droppings and can be more easily moved to the compost pile. Yes, the birds will scatter it hunting for treats. Just rake it together when time to clean the coop.

Reply to
Vandy Terre

I'm coming, Elizabeth, I'm coming.

Now, I've seen it all. The "Rapture" must be coming along any minute.

Am I on drugs or what? Somebody check the tap water.

Every time I turn around this place just gets stranger and stranger.

- Bill

Coloribus gustibus and dog hair sweateribus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
William Rose

That's not strange.

_This_ is strange:

Coloribus gustibus and dog hair sweateribus non disputatum (mostly) Quidquid, dudeumus.

Dr. HotSalt

Reply to
Dr. HotSalt

Too much Ripple.

Stop turning around. Or turn faster. YMMV. HTH. HAND. WTF.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Yeah, but no longer than German Short Haired Pointer :-)) Dunno why breed names get so long.

If you make a sweater from

Probably not - it'st ake too long to collect that mcuh - perhaps a hat or scarf.

:-)) Perhaps just a scourge?

I'll spin it myself and perhaps knit or crochet it. I wouldn't weave it.

What do dog hair shirts

The Cavalier King Charles has very, very fine soft hair - softer than corn silk or baby hair.

Are there specific breeds for

Many breeds of dogs have ahir that can be can be used to spin. My neigbour has a Marrema and I've promised to spin some of her dog's hair for her. I've even heard of someone spinning hair from a cow (whcih would be really hard to do) but then they complained that it was prickly - not at all surprised by that.

Reply to
FarmI

Milk and two sugars, cheers love.

Reply to