Should I Lock My Shed

Page 2 of 3
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 17:47:16 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:

10 rods is a standard plot but 5 rod plots can be available.
A rod (or pole or perch) is 5.5 yards. Square it for area so a Rod (area) is 30.25 sq yards. 10 rods (area) is 300 sq yards, 250 sq metres. You get 16 plots to the acre.

Varies. A few tens of pounds per year is normal.

You can probably grow more than enough to cover the rent and costs. But highly unlikely to cover your time even at minimum wage rates of 5.73/hr.

Normally cost is included in the rent.

Not central government. The local district council is usually the landlord.

The Landlord has some costs, water supply for instance and upkeep of communal features such as boundary fencing etc. The income from the rent is not a great deal of money.
--
Cheers
Dave.

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 17:47:16 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:

10 rods is a standard plot but 5 rod plots can be available.
A rod (or pole or perch) is 5.5 yards. Square it for area so a Rod (area) is 30.25 sq yards. 10 rods (area) is 300 sq yards, 250 sq metres. You get 16 plots to the acre.

Varies. A few tens of pounds per year is normal.

You can probably grow more than enough to cover the rent and costs. But highly unlikely to cover your time even at minimum wage rates of 5.73/hr.

Normally cost is included in the rent.

Not central government. The local district council is usually the landlord.

The Landlord has some costs, water supply for instance and upkeep of communal features such as boundary fencing etc. The income from the rent is not a great deal of money.
All very interesting. So a 10 rod plot is about the same as my 2,500 sq ft vegetable garden, that's more than enough to supply a typical family. And a nice feature is that you have lots of folks to swap crops with so you can all increase your variety. Thank you for the info.
brooklyn1 wrote:

In the UK, an allotment is a bit of land away from your house used for growing fruit and veg. Allotment sites vary in size, mine has only 16 plots and is securely fenced. Other sites have over a hundred plots. Does that help? :)
--
Pete C
London UK

Yes, it helps, but what size is a plot, and does each participant need their own shed... I'd think in such a situation a community shed would be more efficient (not so redundant, I mean 16 sheds is a bit much, a 100 is asinine), and with many community tools as well, as I can't imagine everyone needs say a wheelbarrow, or a rake, or a shovel at the same time... probably easily get by with half as many tools or less, I can't imagine 16 plot caretakers need more than 2 wheelbarrows between them, I'd think no more than half are ever there at the same time. Okay, the big question, who owns this farm land, is there a landlord who rents/leases out the plots, and at what cost, or?
Thanks.
brooklyn1 wrote:

A community shed is in fact a good idea. However, Brits tend to be 'isolated' 'what's mine is mine'. I'm not....happily share anything, and I do. Here, most allotment sites are owned by the local authority (the Council) but some are privately owned. I like your thinking Brooklyn :)
--
Pete C
London UK
Ed wrote:

In the end it is a gamble. Depending on the amount of theft and vandalism in your particular allotment. You have to weigh up the value of your tools, which ones to keep there and the convenience of not carrying them all the time... and be prepared to buy replacements if they get stolen.
If your tools do get stolen you may be lucky and find identical ones going cheap on a car boot sale ;-)
--
David in Normandy. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.fr
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 23:31:20 +0200, David in Normandy wrote:

May also be worth while getting some ghastly coloured paint and protecting the handles with it.
A fork with a bright pink handle has less value to a local tea leaf wanting to flog it at the loacl car boot than and ordinary looking one. Also runs the risk of you or someone else spotting it there and reporting them to the old bill for some explaining.
I'd not bother locking a shed, it's not going to stop a thief and you could end up with more damage to the shed (lock or hasp jemmied off). I would keep anything other than some cheap basic tools in there though, decent stuff I'd transport from home. An old army kit bag could be useful for that, tough as old boots, big enough to take most of a spade, fork, rake hoe.
http://www.camo.co.uk/b25.htm
--
Cheers
Dave.

Locks only keep out honest people.
--

- Billy
On 14/04/09 17:54, Billy wrote:

So what do you do with your shed?
Ed (East Herts, UK)
On 14/04/09 17:54, Billy wrote:

Or dishonest people that can't be arsed to find an unlocked shed? Do you have an allotment shed? Do you lock it?
Ed (East Herts, UK)

I live in the US. I suppose there are some community plots here but not like I've seen in France and Germany. Seems like 30 years ago, around Koblenz, no one locked anything. Used to be like that in Northern California, when I arrived 45 years ago, but times have changed, here and there.
If there was something solid, I'd chain my wheel barrow to it and only leave the most worn out tools in the shed, and chuck the good stuff in the boot of your car. Maybe get a duffel bag to consolidate them into. Maybe you have a mate that lives nearby, where you could store your good tools? Here, likely as not, here someone would move in at night to get out of the cold, and clear off in the morning. They may not mean to break anything or to burn the place down, but accidents happen. Homelessness is more of a problem here than there, especially with so many people being made redundant now and our lack of welfare compared to Europe. Wouldn't leave anything I'd miss. Theft isn't the only problem. Vandalism is a diversion for some adolescents. Trashing your shed and garden, just for something to do, would appeal to some miscreants.
--

- Billy

Here we lock everything or it quickly disappears.
On 14/04/09 18:17, J.Gillmon Jr. wrote:

Where's you then? You got outer security fencing on your plot?
Ed (East Herts, UK)
"Ed" wrote:

Why don't you keep your wheelbarrow inside your shed, wasn't that the point of having a shed, why leave it out in the weather... a door latch would be better anyway, what will keep the wind from ruining your door and shed when you're out with the barrow? As to a lock, it depends who typically goes on your property (like delivery people), the size of your property, how far the shed is from the road and neighbors, how visible it is to you and otheres, and a number of other factors... only you can decide about a lock... but remember, locks only keep honest folks out. I'd say it's pretty rare that a neighbor will enter your shed to steal a shovel or rake but then I don't know your neighbors Often a lock says "valuables inside" and may encourage a break in from strangers. I have a large barn filled with very costly machinery but I never lock it, instead I have insurance. My gardening shed has a lot of much smaller items that someone may walk off with and delivery/service people pass there in the normal course of ther job so I keep that locked because even if they themselves don't take anything they may mention what's in there to people they know. In any event everything of value is covered under my homeowners insurance, all my tools are marked, and I strongly recommend taking photographs of ones belongings regardless.
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 17:14:08 +0100, Ed wrote:

That depends on where you live. I live in a small town in Massachusetts, I leave my barn door unlocked and I've never had a problem. On the other hand I grew up on the South side of Chicago (two blocks from Obama's house), anything that wasn't nailed down got stolen in seconds there. In fact things that were nailed down were stolen.
Ed wrote:

I cannot imagine how you will get any benefit from asking this question here. How on earth would anybody be able to give you a sensible answer? What's next?
Should I invest in shares or property? Should I join the local library or go to the pub? Should I scratch my arse in church even if nobody is watching? Can God see my arse even if nobody else can, does He know that it is itchy, would He mind if I scratched?
Try alt.delphic.oracle
David

When I leave the house to go shopping etc. I always lock the shed. I have two dogs that probably are a bit of a deterrent but my side gates are also locked so that the gates can't be simply opened to allow my dogs to escape and then close the gates again to block reentry by my dogs.
My reasoning is that someone with only a handkerchief in their pocket could gain entry to my back yard by climbing the fence and if the garden shed is already open, they would then have immediate access to a variety of tools and implements.

There is often an amount of garbage in this newsgroup but I considered the above to be a reasonable question.

Thanks David,
In the five lines below "What's next?" you identified yourself.
--

John

John Morrison wrote:

Before going for the big guns of the ad hominem why not show how my point is wrong. How could a stranger from anywhere in the world give sensible advice in this case? Or is it a case of global democracy, the most people who know nothing about it who vote the same way decide?
David
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Ed wrote:

I had an allotment in Reading for fifteen years until last year. Although others on the site had sheds and rarely had any burglaries, I didn't like to do this and kept all my tools at home which was about one and a half miles away. If I'd had a shed on the allotment I could have cycled to the site instead of spending half an hour loading up my car (and my trailer if I was taking the cultivator) with tools and then another half an hour unloading at the end, not the mention the fuel I used which, because of the short journey, was a very inefficient way of using the car.
Because of this I found I had less and less time to devote to the allotment. As I get older and despite being retired, I'm getting more and more work (I'm an organist) and so going out on the allotment for a few minutes here and a few minutes there became impossible and so,last year, I felt so guilty about keeping an allotment which was not being used properly when there were so many people on the waiting list to get one, I decided to give it up. Or putting it another way, I thought I would jump before I was pushed!
However, as some here may remember, I do have a large garden here in France where I have around a hundred vines and a cider apple orchard as well as a kitchen garden. I don't have to load the car up to go anywhere and I can just go out and do a few minutes here and there when I feel like it. However in practice I spend a week over here every four or five weeks in the summer months which, though not ideal, works well enough for me to keep the grass and the weeds under control and keeps us not only in wine and cider throughout the year but supplies most of our vegetables as well.
And as I'm in France at the moment I'd better not waste any more time sitting at my computer and get out and clear up the grass I cut yesterday before doing some rotovating! Rain is promised for this afternoon but French forecasts are so inaccurate in this area (the Suisse Normande) that I'll believe it when I see it!
David
--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
David Rance wrote:

We just stepped out of the front door to take the dogs a walk and the skies opened, drowning us. As you say it is impossible to rely on the weather forecasts here; they often seem no better than guess work.
I also like the luxury of stepping out of the house and straight into a large garden. It is so convenient. I grow most of our own veg too. I just wish the weeks didn't come up and go to seed so damn quick. There is a variety of grass that comes from nowhere and sets seed while it is only a couple of inches high. Similarly another weed with little yellow flowers - I must look up it's name.
--
David in Normandy. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.fr